Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Failed Install of Programmable Thermostat - now old one won't work either

Failed Install of Programmable Thermostat - now old one won't work either

Old 10-10-10, 07:22 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Failed Install of Programmable Thermostat - now old one won't work either

Thanks for reading. I will try to provide as many details as possible. I just bought my first home and wanted to upgrade the thermostat. We have not turned on the heat but the AC was definitely working and the previous owners live next door and assure us that the heat is in good shape too.

I purchased a Hunter 44132 Programmable Thermostat (http://www.hunterfan.com/uploadedFil...066Install.pdf) to replace the current Braeburn 1200 unit (Braeburn Systems - Products). We have a heat pump and the entire HVAC is electrical (no gas). It seemed like a pretty simple install.

There are 6 wires coming from the wall and one little jumper. The terminals on the unit are in this order (R, O, B, C, Y1, E/W1, G, W2) and the wires were connected like this:
Red - R
Orange - O
Blue - C
Yellow - Y1
White from wall AND jumper white - E/W1
Green - G
other side of jumper white - W2
Empty - B

From what I've read that seems like a pretty standard set-up.

So we tried to install the new unit putting wires in the clamps using the multi-stage heat pump diagram from the manual (using Hunter's labels below)

Red to R for Heat 24V Supply
Yellow to Y for Compressor Contact
Green to G for Fan Relay
Orange to O for Cool Relay / Valve
White to Aux/E for Auxiliary Heat
Blue to C for Common

Not really sure what to do with the jumper wire but my best guess was one end in with the Aux/E white wire and the other in the Y2 for Second-Stage Cool. (Since we have O we don't need B, there isn't an L for monitoring, and Y2 was the open slot)

Anyway- now to the problem.... After turning all the breakers back on and programming the thermostat the HVAC system seems to do nothing (even after waiting a bit) no fan, no heat, no air. The batteries do work and when you put the switch into the on position the thermostat makes a little click that makes me think it is trying to do something.

So after a bit of tinkering I thought I would just go back to the old system until I figured out a better plan. I put all the wires back just how they were and re-installed the old system but got the same result - no fan, no hot air, no cold air.

A few minutes ago I tested all of the wires from the wall with a volt meter and each is reading 12V.

Any ideas or steps to troubleshoot? Could there be a switch somewhere we have forgotten to flip or a blown fuse? (every breaker I can find is back in the on position) What are the common mistakes when installing this type of thermostat?
Thanks for you time and suggestions,
Sheena

Old 10-11-10, 07:37 AM
What was wrong with the old stat to make you change t-stat?

Did you turn off the breaker for the system when you wired this?

What wire did you try reading for voltage?

Old 10-11-10, 09:41 PM
S
Thanks for the reply...

Nothing specific was wrong with the old thermostat but we wanted to change to one that was programmable on a daily schedule (on sale at lowe's for $20) for the energy savings. Looking like it might not be a great savings for us after all.

I'm pretty sure the breakers were off but they are not perfectly labeled so there is a chance that we missed one. If so what might have happened?

Touched each of the wires coming from the wall where the thermostat is for voltage readings but I just have a basic "digital voltage tester" that shows if there is no voltage, 12, 36, 55, 110, 220 at a specific point

Old 10-12-10, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by sheenab01 View Post
Nothing specific was wrong with the old thermostat but we wanted to change to one that was programmable on a daily schedule
With the Heat Pump, you may end up costing more when it tries to come out of temp recovery, cuz it may put on the back up heat. Heat pump are best to "Set it and forget it."

I'm pretty sure the breakers were off but they are not perfectly labeled so there is a chance that we missed one. If so what might have happened?
If it was missed, a wire may of shorted out and may of blown a fuese on the air handler/furnace, or burned out the transformer.

Touched each of the wires coming from the wall where the thermostat is for voltage readings but I just have a basic "digital voltage tester" that shows if there is no voltage, 12, 36, 55, 110, 220 at a specific point
SHould be looking for 24 volts. Being the tester dont' show that, we are gong to be guessing.

If you touch or jumper the wires from R wire to G wire, then fan should come on.

Also, FYI, Not a big fan of Hunter t-stat, they are "Cheap" and they don't hold up. best one would be the Honeywell lines.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: