Wiring Help for New Honeywell Thermostat

Old 10-31-10, 02:23 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Help for New Honeywell Thermostat

I have a new Honeywell RTH 350 Thermostat, replacing an old Honeywell (don't know model number but round mechanical model with very basic controls of heat, cold and fan/auto).

The wiring to the heat pump inside unit only has the following four wires connected down at the unit - Red, Yellow, White and Green. The rest are wrapped up and not connected to the inside unit.

How should I wire this new themostat, especially since no orange wire connected to anything at the inside unit?

Inside unit is a carrier, CNRVP3617ATAABAA, has natural gas auxiliary.

Outside compressor a Byant, CC1CJ030-E

This system was originally installed by a poor contractor who the builder didn't pay on time and then they cut corners on the system on several things. We had it fixed (had to replace much of inside system essentially because copper piping wrong and caused failure).

Should have had the basic thermostat done then but didn't.

Can anyone tell me how to wire this and whether lack of connection for orange a problem?

Thanks

Old 10-31-10, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisH_VA View Post
Inside unit is a carrier, CNRVP3617ATAABAA, has natural gas auxiliary.
That model # is the coil on the furnace.

Outside compressor a Byant, CC1CJ030-E
I am coming back with nothing on that #. Did it say Model- xxxxxx on the unit outside?

If you only had 4 wires, It almost makes me think it's not a heat pump? Unless you have a "Duel Fuel" control on/near the furnace?

Old 10-31-10, 09:29 PM
C
Thanks and Maybe Moot

Jay -

Thanks for your note. Put briefly, though I thought we had a two zone heat pump system, apparently we have a heat pump upstairs and a conventional ac and gas furnace system downstairs.

So, I feel a little foolish. Here are the details now that I have them, after your suspicion got me to check again.

Outside (for main floor) - Bryant 563G
Inside - Goodman 0904B Furnace.

So... it seems like I only need the four wires RYWG. If you think diffrently, please let me know.

Thanks again, and helped prevent me from running ac and heat at same time or something even worse I suppose.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-10, 05:35 AM
The new stat you got won't work with this.

Best to return this and get another Honeywell. (No emrg heat switch) Unless you need a new stat for the other unit that is a heat pump?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: