Help with Honeywell RTH3100C wiring.

Old 11-07-10, 01:06 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with Honeywell RTH3100C wiring.

Last year when I moved into this apartment it had a thermostat on the wall that was...lets just say, old. When the a/c part was on I didn't trust the temperature that the thermometer on it was reading so I went out and grabbed a RTH3100C. Now the cooler weather is coming in and I tried turning on the heat yesterday but it doesn't get warm. The a/c worked fine this summer. So I'm wondering if I hooked it up correctly this summer. The old thermostat ( I can't remember the name) only had 4 wires hooked up, and the rest where tied and pressed back up in the hole in the wall. When I was reading the installation manual for the Honeywell, it said do not use unconnected wires, so I didn't. Below is a picture of the wires that were hooked up to the old thermostat that I used for the new Honeywell. Are they correct? Or do I need to get out the old wires behind it and hook those up as well. Thanks

Oops forgot to put the heatpump info in. Its a Apollo Hydroheat, model VB30241G

Last edited by danrouse; 11-07-10 at 01:09 PM. Reason: forgot heatpump model
Old 11-07-10, 02:49 PM
I am at work, so I can't do a lot of digging.. Looks like O is left off... Is O hooked up at the furnace/air handler and/or at the unit outside?

You get heat fi you switch to EMRG Heat?

I'll get back to you tonight.

Old 11-07-10, 04:18 PM
D
Ok, being you said something about the orange wire...I decided to find out exactly. The unit is behind that thermostat in the first picture so I took off the panel and followed the wires. Here's why there are 4 wires hooked up. The wires from that thermostat are the only 4 wires connected to other wires in that unit. All the other wires are there, but cut off and are not used.

I'm going to explain what is connected to the 4 wires that is inside the thermostat. White from the thermostat is the big blue wire at the bottom middle of that picture. Green from thermostat is the big orange wire on the bottom left of that picture. Red goes inside the white box on the right of the picture. Yellow is just that, yellow...it goes along with a light blue wire, outside the unit, down the wall out of the apartment...guessing that is to the outside a/c unit? The light blue wire that goes with the yellow outside the apartment...that is tied in with a wire nut to a tan wire that goes inside that white box.

So if you can keep up with all that...that's what I'm dealing with lol. Thanks again for your help.

And to answer your other question about the emergency heat, if I switch to that, the unit comes on like normal, but the air is no different. The air isn't warm at all, just blowing cool air, not cold...just cool.

Old 11-07-10, 05:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Can you post a picture or 2 of the wiring diagram?

Old 11-07-10, 08:30 PM
Looks like you have a hot water coil. And you have the wrong t-stat. This stat is for Heat Pump, and you don't have that.

Move the white wire (Aux) over to E, and switch the switch over to EM heat.

If it works, you can leave it at this, or get another stat.

Old 11-08-10, 03:31 AM
D
Thanks for your reply, I'll try that when I get off today. Is there a tstat you could recommend that would work better?

Old 11-08-10, 06:35 AM
Any Honeywell but this one. (3100 series are for heat pumps)

Old 11-08-10, 12:41 PM
D
Got a new tstat today, works great. Thanks for your help, Jay.

Old 11-08-10, 01:41 PM
Being it's hot water heat, set the Cycle per hour/System type to 3.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: