Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

heat pump + boiler + 2 transformers + honeywell TH6220D stat.... Help wire

Old 11-21-10, 04:39 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I currently have a heat pump without heat strips and a boiler. I have 2 thermostats (1 for heat pump and 1 for boiler) and would like to use the emergency heat or aux heat for the the boiler thermostat. I have a honeywell Pro TH6220D thermostat for heat pump. I guess what I am looking for is how to wire a 2 heat 1 cool 2 transformer system into the 6220... In the future, I may also want to put an outside stat on the heat pump to disable it below 30 degrees... Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-21-10, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by jlm1216 View Post
I currently have a heat pump without heat strips and a boiler.
I can't imagin not having heat strip when the unit goes into defrost. :-(

I have 2 thermostats (1 for heat pump and 1 for boiler) and would like to use the emergency heat or aux heat for the the boiler thermostat.
Boiler tied to the air handler? (heat coil) I take it you have baseboard heat or the old style radiators?

I have a honeywell Pro TH6220D thermostat for heat pump. I guess what I am looking for is how to wire a 2 heat 1 cool 2 transformer system into the 6220...
2 transformer on the cool? Meaning there's a transformer in the outdoor unit, and in the air handler?

In the future, I may also want to put an outside stat on the heat pump to disable it below 30 degrees... Any help would be appreciated.
The TH6000 is not able to hook up an outdoor sensor to control lock out.. The VisionPro or IAQ can do that. Also, 30˚ cut off is pretty "Warm", I'd suggest 20˚.

Old 11-21-10, 03:34 PM
J
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
I can't imagin not having heat strip when the unit goes into defrost. :-(

Boiler tied to the air handler? (heat coil) I take it you have baseboard heat or the old style radiators?

2 transformer on the cool? Meaning there's a transformer in the outdoor unit, and in the air handler?

The TH6000 is not able to hook up an outdoor sensor to control lock out.. The VisionPro or IAQ can do that. Also, 30˚ cut off is pretty "Warm", I'd suggest 20˚.
There are no heat strips on the unit... I just purchased the home about 9 months ago. I can confirm there are no heat strips. Old owner thought they were inefficient and not needed since she primarily used boiler for heat. Boiler is not tied to Air handler... No heat coil. There are baseboards throughout the house.... 3 zones.... Each zone has a thermostat for zone valve. The top floor has 2 thermostats side by side. 1 is for heat pump and other is for boiler/zone valve. The 2 transformers I am referring to is 1 on the air handler supplying 24VAC and 1 on boiler supplying 24VAC. The goal is to combine those 2 thermostats into 1 thermostat that could just be switched to em. heat for boiler and reg heat for heat pump, if that makes sense. I would purchase a Vision Pro or an IAQ if that would allow me to control everything I mentioned above from the 1 stat... Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

Old 11-21-10, 04:25 PM
Ok, we are now clear! :-)

Yes, we can combine the two stats into one. Let me know what stat you will go with with your set up, then I'll help you wire it up.

Just be aware, when the HP goes into defrost, you will have cold air blowing out of the vent.

Old 11-21-10, 05:24 PM
J
Is there 1 model you would prefer over the other to do all that I would like to do? Also, do you have a suggestion for an outside sensor to lockout the heat pump at a specified outdoor temp?

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-21-10, 05:31 PM
If you are able to fish new wires into the wall for the outdoor sensor, then the TH8320 will work.

If you can't fish the wire, then then IAQ, but it's an over kill stat for your needs.

Old 11-25-13, 02:50 PM
L
similar setup checking wiring

I have a similar setup to this post a AC/Heatpump with no heat strips. I want to make sure that I hooked up the wires to the thermostat correctly. The heatpump was already connected and working. I have a TH8320U thermostat. I removed the jumper from R/RC and connected Red from the boiler to R left the heatpump Red in Rc. connected the white from the boiler to E. then changed the system setting 170 to 7. It seems to be working. Without an external sensor is it possible to disable the heatpump/fan when the E heat is on?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: