filtrete 3m 50 thermostat wifi

Old 11-26-10, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

these internet wifi thermostats are becoming common now. This one sells for under a hundred buck.

Does antone know why all the wifi thermostats are controlled by manufacturers web sites and do not have stand alone web capability. Internet wireless routers have built in web services , why can't these things?

Filtrete WiFi Enabled Programmable Thermostat - 3M-50 at The Home Depot

Are there any stand alone web server type thermostats that do not only work with a manufactuers permission?

thanks

Old 11-27-10, 05:16 AM
I have not been around a WiFi set up and I couldn't tell you why they do that, and so on. Afraid I am not able to help.

Old 12-02-10, 08:49 PM
D
web services

These companies set up web services because it's quite difficult to setup a network in your house that you can find on the internet (dynamic DNS setups are not for the faint of heart). On top of that, setting up port forwarding and all of the security risks make this a task that most common users would be interested in.

I say if the service is free - I'd much rather use a secure server somewhere.

I have a WiFi thermostat from RADIO THERMOSTAT Welcome and I love it. I can use my phone and the web to control the thermostat, and setup was a breeze.

Old 12-05-10, 06:57 AM
R
The Filtrete 3M50 at Home Depot appears to be a "relabeled" Radiothermostat CT30
(see RADIO THERMOSTAT Welcome)

I am pretty sure that Proliphix network thermostats do require to use their web sever although they offer it for free. (see www. Proliphix.com )

Old 12-07-10, 09:22 PM
M
I just purchased three of the 3M-50 units for my home. They work great. They ping the RadioThermostat website every few minutes to update the website as well as get setting changes. The iPhone/iPad app is wonderful and works well. I've got it setup on both mine and my wife's iPhone as well as our iPads.

They say on their support forum they are releasing an API to allow you to run your own custom software in Q1, so I imagine there will be some server software coming from the open source community rather quickly that will allow you to run your own server, rather than using their service (which is free BTW).

Anyway, I love mine! Feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try to answer. It took me less than an hour to install all three units and have them up and running.

Old 12-11-10, 08:57 PM
L
hey i just bought the 3m-50 unit. My problem is that I don't have a c-wire going to it and a bit confused on what i need to do in order to have it powered. I am assuming based on the instructions that i have to have the c wire going to it in order to have the wifi to work. Just wondering if you already had the c wire going to your old thermostat and if you didn't what you did instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-12-10, 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by louhutzle View Post
hey i just bought the 3m-50 unit. My problem is that I don't have a c-wire going to it and a bit confused on what i need to do in order to have it powered. I am assuming based on the instructions that i have to have the c wire going to it in order to have the wifi to work. Just wondering if you already had the c wire going to your old thermostat and if you didn't what you did instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You need to hook up "C" wire (Common). If you have an extra wire in the wall, pull that out, hook that up, and go to the furnace and match that same color wire to C at the furnace.. Otherwise, if you don't then you will have to fish a new set of wires up.

Old 12-22-10, 11:33 PM
L
I have an unused blue wire in my tstat wire bundle and a "C" terminal on my fan controller board which currently has one lead going out to the a/c, can I simply add the blue wire from the the tstat bundle and connect the other end to C on the tstat also? Multiple items on C lead on the fan controller... no problem?

Old 12-23-10, 06:39 AM
Yes, you can hook up the blue wire to Both C.

Old 12-31-10, 12:32 PM
R
Otherwise, if you don't then you will have to fish a new set of wires up.
This is a great site...I am doing the 3 M 50 thermostat also and don't have a C wire.

I can just run a separate low voltage wire alongside the bundle of four I currently have, right? I don't need to put in a whole new wire bundle...or is there some reason I should change the whole bundle?

Old 12-31-10, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by rainmn View Post
This is a great site...I am doing the 3 M 50 thermostat also and don't have a C wire.

I can just run a separate low voltage wire alongside the bundle of four I currently have, right? I don't need to put in a whole new wire bundle...or is there some reason I should change the whole bundle?
You could put one alongside it.

Old 01-04-11, 09:15 AM
L
I have a Goodman GMPN100-4 REV B, and am attempting to hookup a new 3m Filtrete Thermostat with WIFI from Home Depot. It takes batteries but it also requires a 'c wire' hookup for the WIFI to operate. I have removed the stock Honeywell 4 wire thermostat with R, Y, W, G hookups. There are unused wires that run from the thermostat to the furnace that I can use for the 'c wire' connection. It is my understanding that the 'c wire' hookup is for 24v power.

My question is: Where do I hook up for the 'c wire' connection on the circuit board ? Within the furnace I have an open place labeled '24V HUM', which is unused. There is also some sort of transfomer with multiple wires connected labeled 24 on the lower and 120 on the upper with multiple red, blue, and white wires leading out. Can I attach to either one or am I totally wrong?

Any help would be appreciated and I will respond to any questions, if any.

Thanks,

Old 01-04-11, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by landrover333 View Post
My question is: Where do I hook up for the 'c wire' connection on the circuit board ? ,
On the board where the other stat wires hooks up, (R, W, G...ect.. There should be C. Hook the unused wire to C at the stat, to C at the furnace with the same colored wire.

Old 01-08-11, 10:44 AM
S

Hi got the filtrete 3m 50 thermostat w/ wifi
I don't have a "C" wire, but it says I can use a external AC/DC 12-24V adaptor >300 mA.

Got Y W R(H) G wires coming from my HVAC

I've got a 12V 1500 mA adaptor, but not sure how to connect it. It has 2 leads from the end, do I connect both to the C connection? or one to the C and one to the RC?
Thanks
Steve

Old 01-08-11, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure how you can use another transformer on top of another transformer??? Where are you seeing this info?

Old 01-09-11, 09:34 AM
S
Jay,
There is no transformer with the unit. You are supposed to use the "C" wire. Since I don't have a C wire, the manual says you can use a stand alone power supply (transformer) to power the wireless module

Old 01-09-11, 11:15 AM
There's a transformer in the furnace supplying the power on R. When you put two power source together, it will short out... I'll check with someone else on this.

Old 01-09-11, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
if you use a secondary x-fmr you must ensure that they are wired with matching polarity to the primary x-fmr in your furnace

edit. is there a terminal labeled c on your control board? if so you can use that. if not you can use a ground from inside the furnace as the common to provide the completion of the circuit.

Old 01-09-11, 01:53 PM
M
Am I correct in assuming these will show the actual temperature in your house? I'm looking for something to monitor the temperature in my house when I'm on vacation so I don't have to have a friend stop every day or two to make sure everything is OK. I've had the nozzle of my oil boiler get clogged causing no heat without warning before and now I'm a little paranoid.

Old 01-09-11, 02:43 PM
I am guessing a person can see what the temps are in your home, but I'm sure someone can fill in. This is a pretty new system, so not seen it in action, other than in the store on the shelf.

Old 01-10-11, 11:34 AM
L
I installed one this weekend, after using the blue wire in my bundle as "C" at the furnace control board and to the thermostat, I powered up the furnace and the thermostat powered up without batteries (C wire success!)

After provisioning and setting a static IP, registering it with the website all is functional.

You can log into the cloud/web interface and adjust programming, see current temperature, current target, change off/cool/heat/auto, adjust temperature etc

Also on the internal lan you can browse to <thermostat ip>/tstat/datalog and download a text file that contains today's sofar and yesterday's total run time... this was the main feature I bought it for since I wanted to see how effective my setback points were.

As compared to the honeywell it replaced, it does not have a CPH logic, rather it relies on temperature swing... default is 1.0f, but I may switch this to .5f

Overall i'm very happy, there will be many updates to the unit as software development continues and it offers a true way to monitor consumption.

Old 01-11-11, 02:35 PM
R
I have been using the Filtete 3M50 for a few weeks. It has lost the connection a few times and had to be reset. I hoope that the will offer a wired Ethernet model or adapter. I am looking forward to firmware upgrades that will improve reliability and add some features.

radiothermostat.com • Index page

Actually, I was incorrect in my previous post . The Proliphix IP thermostats have a direct access web interface meaning they can be used on a LAN , port forwarding+dynamic DNS service, or the Proliphix web server.

Originally Posted by rkpatt View Post
The Filtrete 3M50 at Home Depot appears to be a "relabeled" Radiothermostat CT50
(see RADIO THERMOSTAT Welcome)

I am pretty sure that Proliphix network thermostats do require to use their web sever although they offer it for free. (see www. Proliphix.com )

Old 08-17-11, 04:52 PM
K
Lennox Furnace

I have a newer Lennox furnace with a variable speed motor (DC motor I believe).
Will this thermostat work with my furnace???

Thank you

Old 08-17-11, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by kinzoo View Post
I have a newer Lennox furnace with a variable speed motor (DC motor I believe).
Will this thermostat work with my furnace???

Thank you
Do you have the humidity control on your current stat? If so, the new one won't have it... But if you have a standard stat, then yes you can, and if the old stat was a single stage stat and the furnace was going on a timer for 2nd stage, then you can wire it up to run a true two stage.

Old 08-18-11, 07:07 AM
K
Thanks for the reply Jay.
I have the LENNOX "ComfortSense 7000" thermostat, I believe it does have humidity control on it.
I guess I'll have to wait until Lennox comes out with a WiFi model.

Old 08-18-11, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by kinzoo View Post
Thanks for the reply Jay.
I have the LENNOX "ComfortSense 7000" thermostat, I believe it does have humidity control on it.
I guess I'll have to wait until Lennox comes out with a WiFi model.
I wouldn't give up the humidity control fo A/C mode for wifi.. Just hang in there who knows it may have it down the road.

Old 08-23-11, 10:13 AM
wow 7500 hits on this topic alone , popular gizmo

Have they released the software to allow third party control , ie the homeowner to control and use this device without being tied to central manufactuers server yet?

I ask because I'd like to have control of the device that runs the furnace in my own house and not by design leave it to an outside agency, suppose they went bankrupt ?

I would like to have local control override like any peripheral device like a printer .....?
just in case

Old 08-23-11, 11:23 AM
Yes. It has local control and internet control through an app. Research radiothermostat.com

Old 09-19-11, 09:25 AM
T
Does anyone know of a wifi thermostat that is capable of dual-zone climate control? I have a single zone set-up now, but I live in a 3-level condo and the hot air just stays on top. I am considering getting a two (or three) zones set up in the near future and don't want to have to switch thermostats yet again if the 3M one discussed here won't be up to task. Thanks!

Old 09-19-11, 09:50 AM
Depends on the zone board. Some can take the "standard" stat as this, and other are just 3 wire commucation system.

Old 01-11-12, 06:06 AM
C
Help!

I just bought this filtrete 3m 50 thermostat. I a very old house with the thermostat acting as just a switch. I specifically bought this unit for the WiFi feature. The wires coming out of the wall are only two. So here's my question: If I must fish down a "C" wire to the furnace, what do I hook it to? The current wires are hooked to "T" and "TV" What's left is "W" and "Z" (which are wired together). If it helps, it's an old unit from from the 80's and it runs on natural gas and powers hot water radiators (nice)
Thanks

Old 01-11-12, 07:03 AM
YOu don't have a furnace. You have a boiler. Is this a zoned system? (More than one stat in the home)

Old 01-11-12, 08:05 AM
C
Oh yeah. Boiler. Nope. One thermostat covers the entire house (other some electric heated rooms).

Old 01-11-12, 08:15 AM
Can have the C wire grounded to the boiler.

Old 01-11-12, 11:47 AM
C
Ok. I'm not really sure what you mean. So run a wire from the thermostat down to the boiler and connect it to what?

Old 01-11-12, 05:47 PM
connect it to any chassis screw found on the boiler.

Old 07-11-12, 10:26 AM
W
bad wifi

I've had the 3m50 from filtrete for 2 weeks now. My biggest complaint is that when my router gets rebooted, or there is a power failure on the circuit that my router is on, the 3m50 wifi needs to be completely reset. This is terrible programming when the device can't reestablish a link to the router and grab an IP. I tried setting the ip to a static ip, but i still have the same problem when power goes out on my router, complete reconfigure.

Awaiting response from tech support, but i have a feeling they are not going to have a fix, in which case, this junk is going back to home depot.

As for the web portion, most if not all of the ip thermostats i've researched require you to create an account to someones server for the purposes of monitoring and adjusting your thermostat. I have very little faith in companies keeping their websites up and available.

Old 07-11-12, 01:34 PM
W
bad wifi... after 4 hrs, the thermostat reconnects to the router. It's too bad that the email notification is 24hrs after the thermostat has been offline.

Old 01-16-13, 07:46 PM
J
Just to chime in, I've had this 3M Filtrete 3M-50 Radio Thermostat for about 8 months now. It is connected to my Trane XV80 Furnace and associated A/C. It works well. I enjoy the ability to see and set the temperature either from my computers or my iPhone or iPad. It is much easier to program the schedule via a web browser than my previous thermostat!

It has disconnected from WiFi 2-3 times in those 8 months, usually associated with a power outage. A simple reset button press on the unit will re-establish connection with my network router. No other configuration data is lost with that reset, and the unit continues to control my Furnace and A/C even when disconnected from WiFi. All in all, I'm very pleased. It is much less expensive than the Nest Thermostat, and seems to offer most of the functionality (but granted, not all the sexiness) of the Nest.

John

Old 11-17-13, 01:31 PM
D
Thumbs down Do not use the 3M-50 at a remote residence

The 3m-50 has been an interesting journey but the expense of keeping it connected at a remote residence has far exceeded any cost savings I might have realized by better controlling the temperature. ( oh yeah, within the first week of installing, the unit failed high and the indoor temperature was over 90 degrees, thank goodness i was having some work done that week). Buyer beware. You can not correct connection problems remotely. If you lose wifi connectivity, you must either reset locally at the thermostat or reconfigure your thermostat with your router. In either case you must either be there or have someone who is computer savvy go there and fix your problem. I plan on moving the units to my primary residence and use them there. If they fail I can correct the problem. I am considering a security or home automation company such as ADT or VIVINT for my rental property. In the middle of my discussion and frustration, Filtrete hung up on me. Again, buyer beware.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: