Digital thermostat for my heat pump?

Old 12-25-10, 09:57 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Digital thermostat for my heat pump?

Hey all, I have a heat pump and I'm trying to replace an old non-digital thermostat with a new digital one. I have tried both an Ace Hardware thermostat and a honeywell thermostat and have not had any luck with either. When the heat is supposed to be on, it blows room temp or cold air.

I have a yellow, green, blue, orange and red wires (there are also white, black and another orange wires but they are wrapped up and not being used).

I called Honeywell customer service and they told me that my system will not support a digital thermostat (but that it would support a non-digital thermostat). I would like to confirm this. Could this be true?

When I called honeywell, they told me that my system requires that I use the blue wire as well as the orange and that I should call a contractor. Is there another digital thermostat that I could buy that would work?

Any help would be appreciated. It is getting cold on here!!

Old 12-25-10, 10:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Listing the 5 colors you have is not enough information.
While there are stats with separate O and B terminals, it is more likely that one of these colors is common or heat strips. (The Hunter touchscreen and Whiterodgers touch screen have separate O and B terminals)

The Q674? ???? number of the old stat and the color wire connected to the terminals in use would help.

What brand is the heat pump?

Old 12-25-10, 10:35 PM
J
The old thermostat is really old school. It doesnt even have a visible model number (the guy at honeywell asked me the same thing). But the thermostat and heat pump are from Whalen. The yellow went to "Y", blue to "B", orange to "O", red to "R" and green to "G".

Old 12-25-10, 11:01 PM
J
I looked those up and they both look like they may work. But each of the thermostats I tried had O and B terminals, but both instructions said not to collect O and B at the same time.

I looked at these instructions and I don't see that. If the blue was a common wire, shouldn't the heat be working even without it?

I'll try one of these, which is better, Hunter or White Rodgers?

Old 12-26-10, 08:10 AM
Honeywell is a better t-stat.

You will have to go to the furnace/air handler and make notes of what colored wire is tied to what letter there.

Old 12-26-10, 08:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
White Rodgers is better than Hunter.
I have not heard of Whalen water source heat pumps. I have worked on Mammoth which were energize to heat B. Most heat pumps use O.

Removing the panel at your indoor unit might quickly prove if your new stat will work.

Last edited by Houston204; 12-26-10 at 08:52 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: