Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Help Replacing Honeywell LR1620 30V Thermostat with Honeywell RLV430

Old 01-12-11, 11:16 AM

I would like to replace my old Honeywell LR1620 30V thermostat with a new Honeywell programmable thermostat that I bought, RLV430. The installation diagram in the owner's guide of the new thermostat is not helpful at all. I have figured out how to turn the power off to the thermostat and how to turn the furnace on and off (It is a Burnham p204 w boiler). However, I am not completely sure how to rewire the new thermostat to replace the old one. And I am not completely sure if they are compatible. The old thermostat says 30V on the front and the new one says it is 120 V.

There are four wires coming out of the wall that connect to the old thermostat. A red and yellow wire are twisted together and are secured together to one part of the back of the old thermostat and a black and green wire are twisted together and are secured together to another part of the back of the old thermostat. There are no specific labels or letters to which they are secured. The new thermostat has two black wires coming from it that need to be connected to the wires coming from the wall. I have no way of knowing what the wires do that come from the wall.

Any help in the correct wiring would be appreciated as well as any feedback whether this new thermostat will even work with the current setup for the old one. Thanks. I will try to post pictures later on.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-11, 05:19 PM
you need a 24v stat for a that boiler

Old 01-15-11, 06:48 AM
Any suggestions for a 24 Volt programmable thermostat?

Old 01-15-11, 07:09 AM
is the thermostat a heating only? I would recommend a Honeywell focus Pro 6000 1H1C It can be setup as heat only or conventional with AC

Last edited by hvactechfw; 01-15-11 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-16-11, 08:11 AM
The thermostat is heating only. I am also confused on how the correct wiring would work. I have no way of knowing what the current wires do. Again, there are four wires coming from the wall and they are connected in 2 groups of two to the back of the old thermostat. How am I supposed to know where they go on a new thermostat?

Old 01-16-11, 08:24 AM
two connections r and w that is all you need to worry about. it doesn't matter what they do since there is only two connections on old stat