Unresponsive Honeywell TH8320U1008

Old 12-29-11, 08:23 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unresponsive Honeywell TH8320U1008

Hi, all. I have a five year old Honeywell thermostat. The touch display is stuck in what looks like a date setting, the month says 11, the day 24, the year 11 and the Done button is showing... but none of the buttons respond or change anything.

I've taken the t'stat off the wall, removed batteries, changed batteries, nothing changes. In its present condition, the heat will not come on.

I happen to have an identical Honeywell t'stat and I temporarily exchanged t'stats and the heat seems to come on normally with the 2nd t'stat.

Is this t'stat stuck or dead? I was considering buying a replacement but I wonder if there is a simpler, less expensive solution...

My HVAC contractor installed this... the sole purpose of this t'stat is to assist with the remote control of a setback temperature. I use an Insteon relay to toggle between the Honeywell TH8320U1008 in the actual residence and this Honeywell TH8320U1008 in the basement. The residence t'stat is set at 70 and this one is set at 50, and I can toggle the active t'stat by email.

Wondering whether I need such an advanced t'stat to just do this simple job. I believe the heating system is a heat pump with secondary electric heat. Thanks for your input!

Old 12-30-11, 03:02 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
sounds like that stat is dead, I believe those have a 5 year warranty! Yes, you do need an advanced stat or at least one that is heat pump w/auxiliary heat compatible.

Old 12-30-11, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Did the display fade when you removed the batteries? If it didn't it may have a cap that is holding a charge....might need to wait a while for it to bleed off.

Also...don't these things have a "reset" button somewhere? Just about everything does it seems.

Old 12-30-11, 06:16 AM
G
Okay, so I need an advanced t'stat, thanks...

So far I've seen the homeowners user manual but not the installation guide for the TH8320U1008. Does the t'stat come with the correct configuration, I can just set the time and date and turn it on? Or do I need to set it up for the specific system I have?

Trying to decide whether to buy the t'stat myself or order it thru the HVAC contractor who will come set it up for me, etc. I don't want to damage the system by having a misconfigured t'stat sending wrong commands, etc.

Thanks.

Old 12-30-11, 06:19 AM
G
Hi, Gunguy. Yes, I left the batteries out for a minute or so and the display did fade to blank before I replaced with new batteries... I agree, I wish there were a reset button but I don't see one.

Old 12-30-11, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Hmmmm....found something interesting at another site. Appears there may be a disk type battery inside these units, not just a cap as I thought. So even removing the normal AA/AAA batteries might not clear the memory.

Do you want the link or are you done with it?

Old 12-30-11, 06:38 AM
G
Sure I'd appreciate the link-- seems crazy to throw this t'stat away... thanks.

Old 12-30-11, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Honeywell th8000

Little confusing to read...apparently they like to quote full replies. Read carefully and it might get you something. I'd do it step by step and then try the last one. You have to take it apart apparently for the final suggestion...but with your member name that shouldn't be an issue, right? lol

Old 12-30-11, 06:49 AM
G
Super helpful thread, Gunguy, thanks! I'll try out the suggestions and report back here either way. Thanks again!

Old 12-30-11, 02:24 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
yes, there is a watch battery in those stats, I didn't think about pulling that out, but the screens that I have had go bad (2) that has not solved the problem. Best of luck to you Gadget. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-09-12, 10:12 AM
G
Thumbs up Issue Resolved!

It took me awhile to try this but I wanted to report back. Following the instructions on Gunguy's link, I split the t'stat housing open with a small flat blade screw driver, replaced the CR2032 battery, put everything back together and instantly the thermostat works and is back in service. To think I began this thread considering buying a new $135 thermostat because it needed a new battery? I never heard about this as a homeowner... it pays to be in the know. Okay guys, lunch is on me! Thank you!

Old 01-09-12, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Hey Great news! Amazing they don't mention anything about it in the manual. Talk about planned obsolescence! Wonder how many have died like yours and people never find the answer?

I should plagiarize from other sites more often..lol. Whatever it takes, right?

Old 02-11-12, 12:43 PM
S
Thanks for the tip regarding the CR2032 battery. My Honeywell TH8110U1003 did this exact same thing yesterday, right before one of the coldest days of the season here.

However, please note that after you pull the CR2032 battery, wait a few minutes (5 or 10) for things to reset before putting in the new one. Otherwise, there will be no change in the locked up display.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: