nest

Old 01-31-12, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
nest

Trying to get Nest to work.

Old wiring set up:
Rh(red),Rc(red),Y(yellow),G(green),O(white),C(2 blue wires). I also noted that these wires came from to sets of wires. Rc, G, O, C came from a big wire and Rh, Y, C came from the other wire.

My old wiring had a jumper on Rh and Rc. Nest support I don't need to put a jumper. The old wiring also had 2 Blue wires attached to C. Nest support to just pick either one to connect to C.

So i connected as was instructed by Nest support using only 1 C wire (from Rh group), since Nest was built in a way that it can only take 1 wire in each slot. It did not work so i switch to the other C wire (from Rc group). This time it powered up and started but it gave me a wiring error message that it detects an Rh wire but no equipment was detected. I called up Nest support and we have tried a number of combinations to get it to not have that wiring error message but to no success. It was already getting late and I was really getting tired of turning power off, taking off the base, switching that I suggested we give a rest and continue with this at another day. Now the Nest base is getting recharged thru a mini usb from my computer, waiting for the next time we can get the correct combination of wiring to get it to properly work.
do you guys have any idea what should be the right set up?

old wiring pic:
Thermostat - a set on Flickr
pls disregard the wiring on the nest pic. i just wanted to show how the nest wiring board looks like. the other pic is of my old thermostat wiring.

Last edited by noybay; 01-31-12 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-12, 05:32 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
we will help later on in the day. You must have a HP without aux heat?

Old 01-31-12, 07:24 AM
thanks. I don't know whether i have aux heat or not. I live in Los Angeles so i would presume that there is no necessity for auxiliary heat but then again, at this time i have no way of knowing if i do or i don't have auxiliary heat in my system for sure. i'll try to get more info and share them with you as soon as i get them. thanks again

Old 01-31-12, 10:56 AM
The Old thermostat was Braeburn model 1000 Non-Programmable Single Stage Heat/Cool Digital Thermostat. I hope this info could help. And just to check if something went wrong with the system, i hooked up the old thermostat which right now seems to be working fine since it is heating up the place. although i haven't checked if it will cool down. i'll probably check later. this thermostat seems to have a compressor protection delay but i'll make sure to update you guys.

Old 01-31-12, 06:11 PM
I don't understand why you have two sets of wire on R and C.

Can you trace these set of wire and see where it is going??

Old 01-31-12, 06:34 PM
yes, you need to trace the wires. Please post make and model of both indoor and outdoor unit. You can open up the units and verify what the low voltage thermostat wiring connects to.

Old 01-31-12, 11:14 PM
Try this. Connect the wires both red to one red and both blue to one blue. Red to Rc and blue to C.

You will have to connect the wires together and then tuck them into the wall opening.

I'm thinking that your old thermostat wiring was not done well from the start.

This should work.