Connecting "W2" line to programmable thermostat?

Old 06-02-12, 03:37 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting "W2" line to programmable thermostat?

I'm looking for a programmable thermostat for a Carrier Heat Pump FA4ANF036 with Heat Pack KFAEH0401N10. Is this a 1 Heat/1 Cool system? It currently has a Janitrol HPT1860 manual thermostat with 5 wires: R, O G, Y and W2. The Janitrol has a switch for Norm<->Emerg.Heat

I downloaded several of the installation guides for Honeywell programmable thermostats and they all typically say:"W2 - Contact a professional Installer" or "STOP Call 1-800-etc.etc.". A local company wants $452 for a Visionpro 8000 with installation.

What are the concerns with the W2 line? Can it simply be connect to "W" or "AUX"? Does something on the heat pump need to be changed to run with the programmable thermostat? Is this a task only a trained tech can handle?

We just recently moved into this house in Myrtle Beach SC where it rarely gets to freezing in the winter. I don't know whether the emergency heat is ever needed.

Thanks and regards,
-stephen

Old 06-03-12, 05:28 AM
You can use the retail model Tstat such as RTH7500 or RTH7600.

Old-----New
R-------R/RC
O-------O/B
G--------G
Y--------Y
W2------Aux/E (add jumper)

Old 06-03-12, 04:11 PM
K
Many thanks, just what I hoped to hear.

Can you address my other questions? Even the installation manual for the RTH7500D says "If the old thermostat had wires on W1, Y1 and W2, some system modification is required. Call your local heating andcooling contractor for assistance".

What kind of modifications are they referring to? Is there any risk of ruining or breaking something?

What is the correct setting for step 0170 in the installer setup?

Thanks again,
-stephen

Old 06-04-12, 07:54 PM
Some system the heat stages needs to be wired in another way in the equipment, and w/ your set up, we don't need to make any changes..

170 needs to be set to 7.

Also, while we are in there, set 240 and 270 to 3. (Not sure if 240 will show. If it don't nothing to worry.)

Old 06-14-12, 11:41 AM
K
Aok

I wanted to close out this thread with thanks to Jay for the info. I set up the new thermostat with Jay's suggested wiring and programming and the system works perfectly.

Thanks for the help.
-stephen

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: