Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Help with wiring new Trane thermostat on a "First Aquatherm Air handler"

Help with wiring new Trane thermostat on a "First Aquatherm Air handler"

Old 06-12-12, 07:16 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with wiring new Trane thermostat on a "First Aquatherm Air handler"

In my condo, there is a First Aquatherm Air Handler. Ive never dealt with these before. It seems to use hot water for heat and a condensor for air (I think). Well, I am trying to replace a honeywell thermostat that currently has the following wires connected to these terminals, Red wire to R, White wire to W, Yellow wire to Y, Green wire to G. The new Trane Comfort link w/zwave, schlage link thermostat model tzemt400ab has the following terminals: 24COM, 24RC, 24RH, W1, W2/O/B, G, Y1, Y2.

I tried connecting the green (which is the blue cable in the air handler) to the 24COM, and I have power. I tried to connect the White to W1, Yellow to Y1, and Red to 24RC. I can tell the fan isnt blowing, and things aren't right.

Does anyone have any idea what Im doing wrong?

Thanks!

Old 06-12-12, 07:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
is there a jumper between 24RH and 24RC?

Old 06-12-12, 07:46 PM
G controls fan so you must have that connected @ stat and air handler for fan operation

Old 06-12-12, 08:11 PM
D
There is no jumper. The thermostat states that if there is no 24RH, it has a jumper in the thermostat. If there is a 24RH, Im supposed to snip the jumper. The jumper is still intact.

I originally had the green pluged into G, but the unit would not power on. When I traced the green wire into the air handler, I found it connected to Blue cable marked G, and per http://www.nexiahome.com/SupportCent...tall_guide.pdf it is the power (24COM).

Thanks for looking at this guys. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by DrBlast33; 06-12-12 at 09:04 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 06-12-12, 08:21 PM
If Green was connected to G on the old thermostat then it is for the fan. I know you got power, but that is being backfed. If there is another wire in the loom, you need to use that and connect to the common side of the transformer. If not you need to run an additional wire to thermostat. If that is not possible you can try to use an add a wire kit. For more info on these google "thermostat add-a-wire".

Old 06-12-12, 08:25 PM
I saw nothing in the installation manual you posted a link to about common being purple.

Old 06-12-12, 08:52 PM
D
ahh. That makes sense. I do have 3 extra wires unwired. But the issue is that the air handler installation instructions (http://www.firstco.com/firstcoimages/pdf/IAM995.pdf) only show 4 wires for thermostat (R,W,Y,G). \On the transformer it states pri: com/blk 120/wht sec:24vac/brn red

Red cable connects to a red wire (which I think goes to the condensor somewhere else).. I connected to blue and then to the C 24V on the thermostat and it powered up.

Is this unit considered a heatpump? I dont know what setting I should set this up with to make it work properly

Thanks again... Im making progress

Old 06-12-12, 09:00 PM
D
Sorry, I misspoke. The green traces back to a blue wire with a marking of G.

Old 06-12-12, 09:18 PM
No. You have what that stat would consider to be a xonvenional system. However, set it up as an electric furnace. Or the stat must call for blower with a call for heat.

Old 06-12-12, 09:42 PM
D
Cool

Thanks guys, I think Im up and running. I set the thermostat up like an electric system, and seems to be working well. You guys are awesome!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: