Wiring Questions Connecting New Honeywell Thermostat

Old 07-31-12, 09:16 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Questions Connecting New Honeywell Thermostat

Hi All,

I recently purchased an Honeywell RTHL2310 series thermostat. I currently have a White-Rodgers 1E56W-444 thermostat. I'm having some difficulty reconciling the wires coming out of the wall which are connected to the White-Rodgers with the wiring of the new Honeywell.

I uploaded a picture of the White Rodgers. What is confusing me is the "A" connector, which is a yellow wire that doesn't come in from the wall but rather goes up behind the panel and attaches to a screw on the back of the panel.

The other question is with RH and RC. The red wire connected to RC comes in from the wall, and RH is connected to RC. My Honeywell manual specifies RH (wall) -> R (thermostat), and RC (wall) -> RC (thermostat). Under my current setup though, RC and RH are connected to each other.

So my questions are:

- Can I just disregard the A connector, since it doesn't connect to anything from the wall, but connects to the thermostat itself?

- I have an RC from the wall connected to the RC on the thermostat, but it is also connected to the RH on the thermostat. So on the Honeywell, would I connect RC (wall) -> RC (thermostat) and then jumper the RC (thermostat) to R (thermostat)?

My current thermostat looks very old, and I wonder if my system is to old for the newer Honeywell.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Attached Images  
Old 08-01-12, 05:22 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
disregard A...........................................

Old 08-01-12, 05:27 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'll disregard A, and are my other assumptions correct?

Old 08-01-12, 07:33 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes... they seem to be.............

Old 08-01-12, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
The old stat required the yellow wire moved from Y to A to energize fan on demand for heating as well as cooling. (Electric Heat)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: