Replacing my current thermostat

Old 08-20-12, 08:48 AM
Replacing my current thermostat

I have a thermostat that probably came with the house when it was built in the 70's.

I opened up the thermostat today. I attached a picture of the EXISTING thermostat. Why is the Brown wire connected to the Common terminal instead of the Brown terminal?

When I am looking for a NEW thermostat, is there anything specific that I should be looking for, in term of compatibilities to replace the existing thermostat?

Thank You

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-12, 08:55 AM
If you have a basic heating and cooling system, then you don't need "B" hooked up. The letters don't mean color code. So when you do replace the stat, make note of what color wires go to what letters, and match it up the same with the new stat.

Are you looking for a program stat or what?

Old 08-20-12, 10:21 AM
Hi Jay, thanks for the quick response. I am not sure what I should be looking for when it comes to buying a new thermostat. I am planning to replace it with a digital one.

Thanks for your advice on the wire color coding.

Old 08-20-12, 10:35 AM
Upvotes Received: 16
You need a one-stage heating and one-stage cooling thermostat. It is okay if you have more stages, they just won't be used. Stick with a name brand like Honeywell. Stay far away from Filtrete and Hunter.

Old 08-20-12, 10:40 AM
Will do Furd. Thank you for the name brand recommendation.

Old 08-20-12, 10:41 AM
Upvotes Received: 3
I replaced my old t-stats with 7 day programmable ones. For heating, they are great as you can schedule when you are home, asleep or away and adjust the heat accordingly. Can save a lot on heating costs.

Cooling.... They are not so useful. At my old house with heat and AC, I would leave the AC constant and have the heat rise and lower based on our schedule.

Old 08-20-12, 10:58 AM
Thanks Mike. Lowes has several different categories from programmable, learnable, touch screen and non-programmable. Thanks to your post on the saving cost of heat, I probably will invest into a programmable since that might be a good idea when I am away during the day time. Have the house ready by the time I get home.

Old 08-20-12, 11:16 AM
Upvotes Received: 3
It works amazing for us.
Using our old house as an example;
At night, when we sleep, drop the temp to 65'F.
Just before I get out of bed, up to 68-69'F
Leave for work, down to 64'F
Home from work, back to 68-69'F

Our new (to us) house is still a bit complicated as we have a zone for our bedroom floors (second and third) and a one for our main. I only installed ours in early Febuary, so I have a bit of playing to get it set to the most efficient scheduling.

Old 08-20-12, 07:25 PM
Don't buy Hunter that Lowes sells, but I'd stay with the Honeywell Lines that is sold at Home Depot. Don't Lux too.