Connecting a Hunter 441555C Thermostat to an Older Coleman Furnace

Old 10-05-12, 01:21 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting a Hunter 441555C Thermostat to an Older Coleman Furnace

To start with, the tag on the furnace says it is a Model 2632A Series 859; another tag just has the number 26206729 stamped on it. I installed the thermostat this summer and the AC worked fine, but now that it has turned colder, we want heat. The thermostat is making clicking noises, but my furnace doesn't fire. The pilot light is burning and the gas valve turned to the on position. I don't know whether it is because I wired the thermostat incorrectly (which I suspect), or because I have a problem with the furnace. I am hoping someone can help me verify if I wired the thermostat correctly or incorrectly.

Connections at the Thermostat
G - connected to green wire.
RC - jumpered to the RH terminal.
RH - connected to the red wire.
Y/O - connected to the yellow wire.
W/B - connected to the white wire.
Y1 - not connected to anything.
In addition, there is a blue wire which is not connected to anything.

Connections in the Furnace
There are two wires in the furnace; one is white and one is black.

Connections in the Transformer Box
The white wire from the furnace is connected to the white wire from the thermostat. The black wire from the furnace is connected to the blue wire from the thermostat (this is why I think I have a wiring problem).

I would appreciate any help someone can give me. Thanks!

Old 10-05-12, 02:05 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
try twisting red and white together, this will duplicate a call for heat from the stat. If it works then it is likely a bad stat, if not then there is something wrong with the furance. It looks to me to be wired properly. Hunter makes great fans not thermostat.......

Old 10-05-12, 06:35 PM
Where are the other sets of wire going to? (Yellow/Green/Red)

Old 10-06-12, 10:16 AM
B
Jay11J

All of the wires from the thermostat go to the transformer box and are connected to various terminals inside of it. The only exception is the blue wire which is connected directly to the black wire coming from the furnace. I know the green wire is connected to the fan because I can jump it to the red wire and run the fan. This leads me to believe that the red wire is the hot wire coming from the transformer. The yellow wire I assume is the air conditioner because it is the one that made the AC work when I connected it to the Y/O terminal of the thermostat.

Last edited by bvs7695; 10-06-12 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-06-12, 12:47 PM
B
Jay11J

Just found where you helped schneck612 rewire his old Honeywell thermostat to a new RiteTemp thermostat. This is basically what I did this summer when we moved in. The exceptions are that our house is a single zone and that I used the Hunter thermostat. The original Honeywell was a T87F1859 with a Q539A base. The new Hunter is a 44155C.

Old 10-06-12, 05:40 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
did you ever wire R and W together to check operation? This will duplicate a call for heat from the stat. DO this then we can determine if it is the stat or if it is your furnace.

Old 10-06-12, 07:42 PM
B
Problem Solved!

I tried this multiple times and it did not do anything. However, I found someone on another DIY website who had an older furnace with a similar gas valve. He was given the advice to jump directly across the valve. I decided to try that and the furnace turned on. I then reconnected the wires to the control valve and disconnected them from their connections at the transformer box and then twisted them together. Once again, the furnace turned on. I reattached them to their appropriate connections and then followed the same procedure at the thermostat. BINGO!!! The furnace turned on. Apparently the white wire and the blue wire need to be connected to complete the circuit which turns on the furnace. I removed the jumper from between the RC and RH terminals in the thermostat and then connected the blue wire to the RH terminal. Everything seems to be functioning properly now. The AC works and the heat turns on and off automatically. When we get another warm day, I will test to make sure the AC still cycles on its own. Thank you to everyone who tried to help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: