Installing Honeywell Wifi RTH8580WF

Old 10-30-12, 01:21 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Honeywell Wifi RTH8580WF

Hello -

I recently bought a Honeywell Wifi thermostat to replace an old thermostat that was in our house (we recently bought the house). The problem I'm having is that there are more wires that it appears is required for the Honeywell. Also, I need a C wire, but don't have one. I've been doing a lot of research and have found a way to use the G wire in the place of it. I did that method and received some power, but not enough. For some reason the thermostat continues to flicker and reset. I am running out of options here, so I'm asking for some help. Attached you will see pics of how our thermostat was setup prior to the re-wiring with the G/C wire.

I also have a blue and orange wire that have nowhere to go on the Honeywell.

I really appreciate any help!

Brad

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-12, 05:40 PM
What zone are you planning on hooking this up to?

What's the model # on the zone board? (Can't make it out on the photo)

Old 10-30-12, 06:00 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
you can not use this thermostat to replace the old one that you show in the pictures with this zoning board.

Old 10-31-12, 08:14 AM
B
Hi - thanks for the reply. The model is EWC-ST-2E. I'm trying to hookup two thermostats to two different zones, both zone 1 and zone 2.
Brad

Old 10-31-12, 08:17 AM
B
Hi hvactechfw - is it easy to replace zone boards? How much would it cost me to replace one with one that would work?

Thx

Old 10-31-12, 03:04 PM
It may be difficult for you if you don't mark every wire and get it into the right spot on the replacement board. I do not think that would be a DIY job. If you don't wire it correctly you may do harm to the system equipment.

Based on what I can see in your picture a Honeywell HZ311K would work just fine.

Old 10-31-12, 05:34 PM
B
[HR][/HR]Thank you for the reply. Do you know any wifi thermostats that would work with this system? EWC sure makes it difficult to get a good thermostat. Any reason why they would make it so difficult?

Thanks,
Brad

Old 10-31-12, 05:49 PM
It's just how old technology worked. Many manufacturer's did it the same way. I know of NO wifi stays that have separate o and b terminals.

Old 10-31-12, 06:44 PM
B
Thanks. The house was built in '03, so I thought the technology would be a little more up to date.

Just so I know, how long would it take a professional to install this? Also, what is a good cost estimate? Just want make sure I know what I'm getting myself into.

There are several non-wifi devices that will work and want to make sure it's worth it.

Thanks!
Brad

Old 10-31-12, 06:58 PM
I agree with Kevin, if you really want to do WiFi, you'll have to update the zone control panel.

It may take an hour or so to change out the panel. Cost, you'll have to get a bid from your local dealer on this.