Need wiring help in changing from Hunter to a Trane thermosatat

Old 11-01-12, 06:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need wiring help in changing from Hunter to a Trane thermosatat

My elderly father lives with me and I have to leave him to take care of the house quite often. If he needs Air or Heat, he gets totally befuddled with the thermostat I have...a Hunter Model 44860.

I have found a Trane XT302C (matches the one he had in his former home and he is comfortable with) but do not have a wiring diagram.

The Hunter has the Yellow going to 'Y1', the Green going to 'G', the White to 'W1', and the red going to 'RH' with a jumper to 'RC'.

Can anyone help me make sure I'm wiring the Trane XT302C right? I have an idea as to how it should be, but would appreciate a second, a third or even a fourth opinion!

Thanks in adavance for any help!

Old 11-01-12, 07:07 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Connect it the exact same way. Yellow wire to Y or Y1 terminal. Red wire to R or Rh terminal with a jumper to the Rc terminal. Green wire to the G terminal and the white wire to the W or W1 terminal.

If the new thermostat has a C terminal you may have a problem. Does this new thermostat use batteries?

Old 11-01-12, 08:00 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
https://www.comfortsite.com/Resource...8-HD25D7-5.pdf

page 2 has the schematic. This thermostat does require a B/C connection. Trane used to call the C terminal B.

Old 11-02-12, 11:19 AM
T
Thanks for the feedback, it's been very helpful. Do either of you know to which terminal the red jumper connects....if at all? There are no batteries and there is a 'B' terminal, however, no 'C'.

Old 11-02-12, 12:27 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The jumper wire goes from the R (or Rh) to Rc. As hvactech wrote Trane used a B terminal instead of C. With that B terminal and no batteries you are probably screwed if all you have is four wires UNLESS you do not have cooling. If you do not have cooling then you can re-connect the yellow at BOTH the furnace and the thermostat to take the place of the B wire.

Old 11-02-12, 08:35 PM
The "B" terminal is "C" that is found on other thermostat.

So if there was a wire on C on the old one, that will be B on the Trane.

I'd suggest to go into the installer set up menu starting on page 4, and on step 4, heating cycle set to 3.

if you need help setting up the other part, we'll need to know the make/model of the furnace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: