Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Installed Nest and Lennox Furnace Fan Stays Always On - AprilAire 700

Old 11-16-12, 06:45 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I replaced my simple old Honeywell thermostat with a 2nd generation Nest. Everything was working fine before the Nest. Picture of the Honeywell thermostat below:

The first time I installed the Nest my furnace would not work. Later I found that I accidentally had cross-wired the blue and red wires. I am only saying that in case you think that broke something or it's related to my problem (the fan stays on constantly). The picture below shows the wires after I "fixed them" so I think they are correctly connected. Again, the first time, I had the Red wire on C and the Blue on Rh.

Although I had the power switch from the main board turned off (AC was off and furnace was off), when I switched the red and blue wires (to the correct position), I heard the fan of the furnace turn on immediately. I dont understand that, should i have also turned it off from the on/off switch by the furnace which looks like the type we use for turning on/off the lights? Regardless....

My problem is that the fan stays on constantly.

My furnace is a Lennox c33-60d-2f-6 and I also had a professional isntall an AprilAire 700A (a year ago, before the Nest which was put on yesterday). Btw, I always wondered if that AprilAire is pushing enough humidity because I have it set to 7 (highest) and its panel never shows more than 43% to 47% humidity. I never saw my windows fog up. Not saying I need them like that, I know it's not good, but at setting 7 shouldnt they? My house is 3600 sq/ft large, three levels, the 700A should be able to make that house feel very humid at 7 I figure.

The professional told me he used a wire that was already going outside to the AC, to connect the Aprilaire's outside temp sensor (I was not there when he did it so I cannot attest). However I have taken pics of everything I can see for you guys to give me advice. I appreciate any help!

Here are some photos. This is the picture underneath the AprilAire 700

I am not sure what this is but seems to might be connected to the furnace and maybe to the humidifier? Not sure.

The humidifier's panel:

More on the connections of the humidifier

Old 11-16-12, 06:12 PM
Ok, we'll look at the Nest stat/furnace fan for now..

Make sure the stat fan "ON" isn't on.

if it's set to "AUTO", then try to remove the G wire and see if the fan stops.. If it stops, then it's the stat issues..

if the fan stays on, then go to the furnace, and remove the G wire there. If the fan does then stop, then there's a short in the wire somewhere.. If then fan dont stop, then it's the furnace.

Old 11-19-12, 03:48 PM
G
Thanks for trying to help.

I talked to Nest and they said that it was their base which was sorted. Sent me a new one, I installed it and it works fine now.

Now my question is, should I have the AprilAire humidifier connected directly to the Nest via the STAR connection? If yes, how can I do that myself?

On the wall, where all the wires come in, there are three other colored wires that are not used currently. Folded aside. They are brown, orange and black.

Old 11-19-12, 04:02 PM
YOu can wire it to it.. What do you hve for control on it now? Does it have an outdoor sensor on it?

Old 11-26-12, 02:19 PM
G
Hi, sorry for the delay. Thanksgiving.

Yes, it does have an outdoor sensor on it.

I am not sure what you mean by "What do you hve for control on it now?" A professional installed it. Some of the pics I posted show what he did. Let me know if you need more. Thanks for trying to help.

Old 11-26-12, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Do you have a duct mounted humidifier control wired to the humidifier at this time?

Model?

Old 11-26-12, 02:58 PM
With the current humidistat you have, it will adjust the humidity to the corect level based on the outdoor temps.

I don't see anything on Nest saying that they do this thing. so you will have to adjust the levels as the temps changes outside.

Old 12-05-12, 04:12 PM
G
Yes I do. It's showing in the pics below. It's the one with the 42% showing. It's placed on my return main duct (meaning the portion of the furnace before the air filter.).

Old 12-05-12, 04:15 PM
G
Yes true. THe problem is this Aprilair unit will not allow more than 45% humidity IN THE DUCT. Which translates into 39% at best on the first floor where, per the Nest thermostat. I believe it. Plus it's lower upstairs in teh bedrooms I am guessing. It just does not feel humid enough and I have it cranked up to the top. I would say another 5% would be good to have. On the other hand, had I connected it to Nest I am thinking, I may lose the ability to include in the calculation the outside temp? Not sure. And confused.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: