Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Wire Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier (w/ Aprilaire 850 Blower Pack) w/ Nest

Old 11-24-12, 03:36 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have the 1st generation Nest that I am using with a hydronic in floor boiler system. I have a 2nd thermostat that contols a 2nd zone.

I'd ike to control my Aprilaire 800 steam (with Aprilaire 850 Fan Pack) with one of the thermostats

Does someone have a wiring diagram for connecting the 1st generation Nest, along and.or with the 2nd generation thermostat with AUX input?

The humidifier is installed now with a stand alone Aprilaire thermostat (62) that has 4 wires to it (2 - 24VAC tapped the Model 800 the ) and 2 back to the humidifier connections in the model 800.

It would be great to have a sensor that monitors outside temp to adjust the humidity levels - that may be a bridge to far!

TIA

Old 11-24-12, 06:23 PM
Nest does not have an outdoor sensor to adjust the level for you, and I am guessing the current humidistat does have an outdoor sensor hook up, and can hook the sensor to that.

The 1st gen will not work with this, The 2nd one can work, but a relay is needed to put between the Nest 2nd gen, and the unit.

Old 11-25-12, 08:45 AM
B
Assume I use a 6azu2 relay?

thank you - which relay do I use - 6azu2 relay?

I'll get my 24vAC from the Aprilaire 800.

Thanks again

Bob

Old 11-25-12, 06:35 PM
Yep, IF you get the nest, you will wire the * to the coil side of the relay, then other side of the coil to C where every the t-stat wire was wired to.

Then the wire from 800 goes to the contacts side.

Old 12-09-12, 02:04 PM
B
Can clarify plz

1 - the tapped 24vac from the 800 humidifier to the coil side of the relay which is in turn connected to the * connector of the Nest and the other side of the 24vac to the "C" nest of the nest? Pins 1 & 3 respectively of the the relay
And

2 - the "H" wires from humidifier to pins 2 & 4 Of the relay?

Thank you.

Bob

Old 12-09-12, 03:53 PM
Did you get the relay?? If so, what model?

Old 12-09-12, 04:45 PM
B
Thanks for your quick reply.

6azu2 (Pr 360)

Pin 1 & 3 are the coil

Pins 2 and 4 are switched

I have the Nest 2 now.

Thanks again

It is currently connected using an Aprilaire 65Humidifier control

Bob

Old 12-09-12, 08:37 PM
Ok, wire * to 1.

3 to C.

Then from the 800, they go to 2 and 4 switch side.

Old 12-11-12, 10:14 AM
B
Still no joy - the Nest gives a error when I use the connection you recommend you id

To refresh - the Aprilaire has 4 possible connection that I am using with my current Aprilair 65 Humidstat. The Aprilair 65 Humidstat is for use with any humidifier requiring an on/off signal of 24VAC

1) two taps from 24VAC within the 800 to R and C on the Aprilair 65 Humidstat
2) connections labeled Humidistat and Humidistat on the 800 - labeled H and H on the Aprilair 65 Humiidstat

Based on what you indicated I attached '*' to 1 and 3 to 'C' of the relay AND "Humidistat" and "Humidistat" from the 800 to the switch side pins 2 and 4 the relay.

Here are picture of the error codes from the Nest - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g2c26y5wsvignac/C_EXoplSon

Thanks

Old 12-11-12, 02:10 PM
No, you want the nest on the coil side of the relay, "Humidistat" from the 800 to the contact/switch side.

Old 12-11-12, 05:42 PM
B
Jay

Jay -

I am confused. The Nest is connected to the coil side relay

Contacts 1 and 3 of the relay are the coil side (wired to * and C) and contacts 2 and 4 of the relay are the contact/switch side wired to "Humidistat" and "Humidistat" of the Aprilair 800

see attached link to dwg and photo of relay and how i have wired this which gives me the error msg in my previous note - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lsd9b71j2781mjf/AoHOqz95i6

Thanks

Bob

Old 12-11-12, 08:23 PM
You do have this wired right...

Do you hear the coil closing? Or, does it start when you short the two wires together from 800?

Old 12-12-12, 03:47 AM
B
Wire Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier (w/ Aprilaire 85

I'm out of town for a few days. Will let you know when I get back.

Bob

Old 12-22-12, 11:13 AM
B

jay i shorted the two H wires from Aprilaire 800 and the uit started

When I then connect those two wires to pins 2 and 4 of the relay alone (with nothing else connected to/from the Nest) the unit does not come on - which I assume means the contacts are normally open

When I then attach Contacts 1 and 3 of the relay (coil side) to * and C of the Nest. I get this error messages on the Nest -- https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g2c26y5wsvignac/C_EXoplSon

and I can go no further with the Nest

Thanks again

I called Nest on this and they do not support explaining/resolving how to connect their system to humidifiers and actually referred me to this site!

Bob

PS - anyone else had any luck with this?

Old 12-22-12, 12:03 PM
Do you have C wired up to the furnace's C?

Old 12-22-12, 12:15 PM
B
No. Jay, my heating system is a hot water boiler for radiant in floor heat. Per the Nest instructions, I have two wires 2
two wire system) coming to it for the zone valve which are connected to W1 and Rh respectively on my Nest 2.

Old 12-22-12, 12:34 PM
B
There is also an a/c system to this Nest 2
Connected to the nest at Y1,G, & Rc

i have a another Nest 1 close to the humidifier 850 blower which only is from snother boiler 2-wire zone valve.

Old 12-22-12, 06:30 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
called Nest on this and they do not support explaining/resolving how to connect their system to humidifiers and actually referred me to this site!

HAHAHAHA that gave me a real chuckle!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not believe NEST support! Well, Yes I can. Yet another reason why I do NOT recommend NEST.

OP, Return your nest and buy a honeywell prestige with an internet gateway.

Old 12-22-12, 06:57 PM
B
That is not my preference. Is this a we give up message.

Old 12-22-12, 08:27 PM
Well, if NEST can not give support for their own product and I refuse to buy a $250 paperweight just to try it out..... It just seems to me that THEY (NEST) should support their own product and not send their patrons to a forum that has NOTHING to do with NEST or their product.

Old 12-23-12, 04:00 AM
B
Thumbs down

My assumption was no one here owns every product made on the market and that not every manufacturer answers all questions - if the later were true there would be no need for any forum. A simple "we really don't know how to fix this would suffice". When I first asked the question it appeared that someone did know how to fix it. At the beginning I indicated I had a 2 wire hydronic boiler connection and I was told to buy a relay and how to wire it in and the instructions indicated specific connections from my relay to the Nest - now at the end I'm somewhat being criticized for 1) buying something you don't know how to fix - so you recommend something else and 2) for a company acknowledging this site provides useful info - as you know there are many variations of ways to hook up systems. Because you know how another system works is not a useful recommendation. I have read review of both and I think there are pluses and minus' of both.

I see a number of Nest questions on this site - if you don't know how to help us because you have limited or no experience with the product (i refer you to you "I refuse to buy a $250 paperweight just to try it out") then maybe you should not be someone who replies as your response seems more defensive than helpful.

If this site doesn't know how to hook humidifiers into Nest. Just say so. No harm, no foul. You are wasting a lot of people's time giving the impression you do at least you did for me.

When you or some else does come up with a work around please let me know - till then I'll just use my humidistat. - no big deal. BTW, the Nest check "do it yourself forum" was an offhand comment made by one tech one time - not a blanket endorsement. When I called Aprilaire they said they would not recommend any other non-Aprilaire solution. So that is this forums niche.

Old 12-23-12, 07:04 AM
You need to have a C(ommon) wire wired to the boiler/ground from the t-stat. I take it you wired the otherside of the coil to C at the stat?

Old 12-23-12, 08:48 AM
The reason why I recommended a different control is because it is proven successful. If the nest were to work properly all the time you would not be having issues. If nest gave support for their own product you would not be having problems. What company would employ support staff that often times doesn't even know how their product works. The nest would be great product if it was more reliable and if their was more support for it. We have no control over their quality. We can simply tell you how it should be wired. Their have been many issues with sub base problems with the nest. Even if it is wired properly it won't work right if the product is flawed.

Old 01-15-13, 09:58 AM
M
AA 800 and Nest2

Bob:

I have (almost) the same set up as you, the AA800 (no fan pack) and the Nest2 and I got it to work beautifully with the 6azu2 replay that you also have. The trick for me was to understand that the contacts leading from the AA800 just get connected or disconnected by the relay, i.e., you do not ever want to send any electrical current into the AA800. So, I can attest that the set up that you have should work, although I am puzzled by the error message that you received. Maybe you can post some photos and double-check your wiring?

Marc.

Old 01-15-13, 11:11 AM
B
Marc

THanks for your note,

I have a 3 zone in floor radiant hydronic system. The Nest 2 thermostat, the farthest from the humidifier, will control the humidifier and has two wires from a zone valve connected to it - this same Nest2 also controls a separate A/C system). The only thing I can think is the issue is that my connection from the Nest is from a two wire zone valve which is in turn connected to the boiler (vice a direct connection from the boiler to the Nest) - that is the issue. I plan to run a wire (recommended below) from the boiler ground to the Nest C connection (this seems counterintuitive to the error message I am getting saying there is no power) - have not gotten around to it and have just used the supplied Aprilaire Humidistat which works great.

Pictures/error msg here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g2c26y5ws...lSon#f:photo 1[2].jpg

Another Question - do have your system hooked your up at 220V or 110V? We have had a mild winter in DC and I am not sure the 110V humidiity ouput will cut it once the heat is on more and things get really dry. Our house, built in 1952 has cast iron pipes embedded in 4-5" concrete floors with concrete joists supporting them throughout the house - it is built like a battleship!

Old 01-15-13, 04:17 PM
M
I am not 100% sure that I understand what you are saying, but I can confirm that i have the c wire on the nest wired to both the c on my air Handler and one side of the coil on the relay. Please let us know how you make out.

I originally wired the as800 for 110v, but the output was pathetic. I then re-wired it for 220v and now it works much better. To me, 220v seems like the better choice.

Old 02-21-13, 03:03 PM
B
Need help Finding the Common"C" Connection On Boiler for Nest and Aprilaire 800

Finally ran the wire to my boiler - no easy task the way my house with solid concrete floors with cast iron pipes is built. Even the thermostat wires and zone valve wires are run through poured concrete.

I have been unable to find the Common "C" connection on my boiler to connect back to my Nest through the relay. There is nothing that I can find with a COMMON marking on my boiler. I have included pictures of the gas valve, aqua stat and intermittent pilot. I am guessing based on other posts i have seen that it may be the Th/Tr terminal on the gas valve - but I am unsure as I measure some voltage on it when the pilot turns on. Here is a link to some pictures - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iq1hup6hifor3tn/L6Pjr7ngHl

I have not included a picture of the zone valve connections that go back to the Nest thermostat I want to use to control humidity - as it is installed so it is impossible to take a picture of the wiring posts and there are no model numbers on the zone valves.

On another front, I tried connecting the blower back with the unit using 220V output. It really puts out loads steam - you can see a plume about 3-4' out from it. The problem is the blower unit steam output sputters loudly like there is trapped water in the line the steam is blowing through and I cannot find a position for the steam supply or drain hoses to drain that water which makes it go away. Operating at 120V it runs all the time - but at least there is no sputtering.

Would appreciate assistance in trying to locate what the "C" connection point on my boiler is.

TIA

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: