Replacing White-Rogers with VisionPro 8000

Old 12-28-12, 01:38 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing White-Rogers with VisionPro 8000

My home has an electric forced air furnace. It's actually a Westinghouse heat pump unit, but without the exterior compressor and with strictly an air handler and heating unit. (I had an HVAC guy come over in August to give me an estimate on installing the compressor to take full advantage of the heat pump for heating and cooling, but I never heard back from him - go figure).

Right now, the home has a White Rogers thermostat model IF86-344. This thermostat has a digital readout, but isn't programmable.

I purchased a Honeywell VisionPro 8000 programmable thermostat anticipating installation of the exterior compressor in the future and am trying to install it in place of the White-Rogers. I'm having issues with the new Honeywell in that the available wiring terminals don't correspond to the White-Rogers unit.

I've gone through tons of postings related to wiring a VisionPro 8000, but still can't figure out how the new thermostat should be wired as all of the postings are for systems with both cooling AND heating - I only have heating.

I called Honeywell's "Customer Care" tech support number listed in the instructions for the new thermostat and after @ 10 minutes on hold finally got through to a tech rep who said that since I'm not a contractor, they couldn't provide any support. They said since it's a VisionPro (her emphasis on Pro) that it's only intended for contractors. They did offer to provide me with the name of one of their local certified HVAC contractors.

I am attaching photos of both thermostats.

The White-Rogers was connected as follows -

BLUE wire to "C" terminal
GREEN wire to "G" terminal
RED wire to "RH" terminal
WHITE wire to "W" terminal
ORANGE wire to "B" terminal

On the VisionPro 8000 I'm assuming everything is essentially the same, except when I get to the ORANGE wire as the VisionPro 8000 doesn't have a "B" terminal. The only terminals unaccounted for on the VisionPro 8000 other than the "S1" and S2" are the "Y" and "RC" terminals.

I checked the furnace in order to verify exactly which wires go to which terminals. However, the yellow wire was connected to the "Y" terminal IN THE FURNACE, but was not connected to any terminal on the White-Rogers thermostat.

Thanks, in advance for your help

Name:  Vision Pro 8000.jpg
Views: 2456
Size:  19.0 KBName:  White-Rogers.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  25.4 KB.

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-12, 08:17 PM
You got the wrong model.. Looks like you got the TH8110 model.

You need the TH8320.

Last edited by hvactechfw; 12-29-12 at 11:52 AM. Reason: changed the model number to the correct one.
Old 12-30-12, 01:34 PM
W
Thanks for your help.

Looking at photos of the available connections on the TH8320, the only difference I can see is an additional W2 terminal next to the S1 and S2 terminals on the left side. Would the ORANGE wire then connect to the W2 terminal?

Also, anyone in need of a TH8110 - cheap? I can't return it since it's over 30 days since I bought it.

Old 12-30-12, 04:20 PM
Old--------------New
C-----blue-------C
G-----green-----G
RH---red--------R/Rc
W---white------Aux/Emg
B---orange-----O/B
Y---yellow-------Y

Since you said the compressor is not working, you can use the stat you just brought for now till you get the correct stat.

Let me know what you are going to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: