New Vision PRO IAQ Planning Questions...

Old 01-13-13, 11:31 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question New Vision PRO IAQ Planning Questions...

Hi - relative newb to HVAC - I have changed t'stats and humidifiers before as well carried out basic furnace maintenance - blower belt replacement, blower cleaning, etc.

Though overkill for my current furnace arrangement - a VERY old 108,000 BTU Coleman single stage, installed in 1967 - with a flow through Honeywell humidifier - HE220A, I have found a very well priced Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ with outdoor temp sensor and IEM and plan on using it.

There are only 2 wires between my current thermostat and furnace - I realize that needs to change to a 3 wire arrangement. There is a 24V transformer installed for humidifier control surrently - I assume that I can re-use that transformer.

There is also an inline duct fan - 2 speed, 120V - to push more warm air into a badly built house extension. The blower comes on only when the fan is running and is wired somehow into the furnace wiring. I currently change a switch on the duct fan to change its speed.

Future plans for the house include a furnace upgrade at some point - maybe a 2 stage and the addition of a makeup air vent damper.

Climate here - Calgary, Alberta, Canada doesn't really require AC but it would be nice to draw cooler air from the basement - and possibly from outside as well once the temerature falls enough - and circulate that cooler air through the house with the furnace blower.

My research seems to indicate that the VisionPRO will work well with these existing bits - and will work with the planned upgrades/changes.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

My current thermostat only has 2 wires to it so that is something that needs to be changed. Is 18 guage wire acceptable ? Should it be thermostat wire or does it matter as long as the guage is correct ?

Fan for cooling:

As I want to draw cool air in from the basement and use the furnace fan to circulate the cooler air how would I wire the IEM for this ? Or is it even possible ?

Is there a way to open the outside makeup air damper once outside temps are lower than the inside temp to use for cooling using the furnace fan ? Is it possible to set a temp differential - between inside and outside temps - to control when the damper opens ?

Duct Fan:

Can I wire the duct fan - 120V I believe - into the IEM so that it only comes on when the furnace fan is on or should I leave it the way is connected through the furnace ? Is there a way to switch the duct fan speed - slower to faster - via the VisionPro interface - or automatically once outdoor temp is below a certain number ?

I am hoping to get things figured out before the install - to be done within a week or two - so that I can do the wiring and connections in one shot if possible. Hopefully the ouside temp will not be to bad ...

I have reviewed a number of posts here and how found very useful and clear information. Great forum !!

Assistance and comments are most welcome.

Dave

Old 01-13-13, 04:01 PM
There is a 24V transformer installed for humidifier control surrently - I assume that I can re-use that transformer.

You can reuse it if you want, otherwise, you can use the EIM for power to run it.

Are you getting the outdoor sensor?

My current thermostat only has 2 wires to it so that is something that needs to be changed. Is 18 guage wire acceptable ? Should it be thermostat wire or does it matter as long as the guage is correct ?
You should be using 18 gauge t-stat wire. I'd do the 18/8 wire then you are ready for the new equipment down the road.

As I want to draw cool air in from the basement and use the furnace fan to circulate the cooler air how would I wire the IEM for this ? Or is it even possible ?
How are you going to draw the air from the basement?

Your old furnace may not have a hook up to run the blower if you don't have A/C now.

I
s there a way to open the outside makeup air damper once outside temps are lower than the inside temp to use for cooling using the furnace fan ? Is it possible to set a temp differential - between inside and outside temps - to control when the damper opens ?
No. You'd need a very high end t=stat to do this.

Can I wire the duct fan - 120V I believe - into the IEM so that it only comes on when the furnace fan is on or should I leave it the way is connected through the furnace ? Is there a way to switch the duct fan speed - slower to faster - via the VisionPro interface - or automatically once outdoor temp is below a certain number ?
No, and I'd leave it as it is for now.. When you get a new furnace, have the dealer fix this issue. (redo the duct or other things to get air going the correct way with out the booster fan.

Old 01-13-13, 06:17 PM
R
Thanks for the reply Jay.

Yes, I have the oudoor temp sensor for the IAQ.

I guess I am unclear about the EIM as I thought that a 24V feed - from somewhere - is required.

Do I need to run the 18/8 t-stat wire to the actual thermostat - I thought I read somewhere that only 3 wires are required to go to the actual IAQ t-stat ? LOL, probably read to much into it now that I think about it.

I believe that there is a way to run the blower/fan only - will need to look into it. I think the existing t-stat can start the blower without causing the furnace to turn on.

As for basement air for cooling, I thought I would drop some ducting down from the existing outside air input duct - existing is 6" I think - and use another air damper on that duct that would open only when cooling is requested - something that is closed when the furnace is making heat. I wonder if this is even allowable ?

The duct/booster fan currently is only energized when the furnace/blower is on. So maybe the way it is will work fine. I will think about trying to eliminate the booster but in the old house this retrofit might be very difficult and expensive.

It is quite dry here in the summer. Is it desireable/possible to have the humidifier run when my fake AC - blower with outside and maybe basement air - is on ? Seems like it could be possible...

I am sure that I will be back with more questions once I get closer to the actual install.

Regards

Old 01-13-13, 07:25 PM
Yes, I have the oudoor temp sensor for the IAQ.
Perfect, then your humidity will adjust according to the outdoor temps in the winter.

I guess I am unclear about the EIM as I thought that a 24V feed - from somewhere - is required.
You'll have to get 24v from somewhere, either adding a jumper from the R's on the EIM, or power from the remote transformer. I done the jumper on mine, and helping people on here.

Do I need to run the 18/8 t-stat wire to the actual thermostat - I thought I read somewhere that only 3 wires are required to go to the actual IAQ t-stat ?
No, the wire will be used between the EIM and furnace. For now, you'll use 3 or 4 wires with your current furnace.

I believe that there is a way to run the blower/fan only - will need to look into it. I think the existing t-stat can start the blower without causing the furnace to turn on.
If you have a fan switch on your t-stat, then no issue of doing it.

As for basement air for cooling, I thought I would drop some ducting down from the existing outside air input duct - existing is 6" I think - and use another air damper on that duct that would open only when cooling is requested - something that is closed when the furnace is making heat. I wonder if this is even allowable ?
You could do that, but it will not even make a dent on trying to cool your house w/ a 6" duct sucking up the basement air.

It is quite dry here in the summer. Is it desireable/possible to have the humidifier run when my fake AC - blower with outside and maybe basement air - is on ? Seems like it could be possible..
You can set the IAQ to turn on the humidifier in the summer, but adding humidity in the summer is not an ideal thing.

Old 01-22-13, 05:56 AM
R
Thanks Jay - I appreciate it.

I am still over thinking things and gathering bits for my install.

As I look at dampers I see 2 types that might be applicable. Simpler ones - and maybe all I need - are "Power Open - Sping Close" and more complex ones seem to be powered all the time - for zone control maybe.

Does it matter which I get as I think my VisionPro can control both though the 2nd variety requires at least 1 additional wire?

Thanks

Old 01-22-13, 06:59 AM
The damper you're talking about is the damper for the bypass?

If you think you are going to be the one who keeps on forgetting to open/close the damper for the season change, then you can do the powered one. (I've never done that before, and not a bad ideal!!)

If you do do the powered one, then I'd suggest adding a stand alone transformer for this.

Old 01-22-13, 07:08 AM
R
Thanks Jay,

No, I was planning to install a damper on the fresh/cold air intake to the furnace. My thought is that I would like the damper to be closed when the furnace blower is not running. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 01-22-13, 12:34 PM
Ok, I have the damper on my system, and I have it hooked up w/ the vent side of the system, to allow fresh air into the home as needed. My duct is tied into the return duct, and I run my fan 24/7 so didn't want to over do it, so added the damper.

Old 01-27-13, 10:03 AM
R
Thanks Jay... sorry, I must have missed something...

Not sure if this link will work or not but I found this powered damper on ebay. It is not a power open - spring close but looks to be powered only.

Carrier DAMPRND06INCB 6" Motorized Zone Damper | eBay

I think that it would be compatable with the Vision Pro but I am looking for confirmation. If the link doesn't work here is the title of the item:

Carrier - DAMPRND06INCB - 6" Motorized Zone Damper

please let me know if it can be wired to work with the Vision Pro. If it can be used, will any other modules/equipment be required on my end ?

Thanks !!!

Thanks

Old 01-27-13, 11:28 AM
I am seeing there is two way to wire it for power open or close... You want power open.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: