Honeywell CT31A

Old 01-19-13, 09:40 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Honeywell CT31A

I replaced a Trane Baystat305 with a Honeywell CT31A. When in heat mode the fan does not run on "AUTO". I called Honeywell and was told the thermostat does not control the fan when on "AUTO" in the heat mode and the problem is in the furnace. It works fine when I reinstalled the old thermostat. Is there a way to make the Honeywell work without rewireing the furnace?

Old 01-19-13, 10:17 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
The fan is normally controlled by the furnace. On a call for heat, after the burners have heated the heat exchanger to a certain temperature, the fan will come on.

Are you saying that the furnace is not working at all, or are you saying that the furnace comes on and heats up the heat exchanger but the fan never comes on?

Old 01-19-13, 11:09 AM
P
The Trane thermostat started the fan immediately when swithched to heat. With the Honeywell the heat comes on but the fan does not start even after 5 minutes. The old Trane has a jumper wire between terminals 1 & 2. I wonder if the installer put the jumper in to make it work?

Old 01-19-13, 06:41 PM
Do you have a gas/oil furnace? If so, the furnace itself should turn on the heat. If the fan doesn't come on, and the burner trips off on high limit, then you have an issue with that.

Now if you don't have a furnace, just a heat pump system w/ electric heat strip, then you need to set the t-stat up to tell it controlling a HP system.

Old 01-19-13, 09:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
You need a different stat.
I see no configuration in the manual to allow the CT31A to energize fan with heating.
The old stat is better than the CT31A.

Old 01-20-13, 06:06 PM
P
Thanks

We in south Florida and need heat only a few days each winter. The heater is an electric heat strip on a central air. What model of thermostat would work?

Old 01-20-13, 06:49 PM
What's wrong with the old stat?

I'd suggest the Honeywell RTH111B

When you do get this, I'd suggest setting the heating cycle to 3 in the advance setting section (I Know the book says 9, but 3 will be a better comfort), and set the fan opertion switch to electric.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: