Heating Issue

Old 01-21-13, 10:33 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heating Issue

I'm living in an apartment and the maintenance seems to think there is no problem with my heating. I think otherwise.

Yesterday I went to bed, thermostat was set on 75, temp was 73. Wake up and it's 60 in the entire apartment. Called them and they said the building is old and it's having problems keeping up with the low outer temperatures, and that there is nothing that they can do.

So, I start testing out my heating. I have baseboard heating fed by hot water. The boilers work according to maintenance. My thermostat is old and has a mercury switch. This is what I do know:

- When I turn the thermostat such that the mercury hits either contact, I hear clicking from the baseboard where the water enters the apartment. This clicking lasts 15-20 seconds and then stops. It does not make this sound again, unless I turn the thermostat to where the mercury hits the other contact.

I do not know much about baseboard heating. Should I hear clicking each time water is pushed into the piping in my apartment? Or should I hear infrequent clicks after turning the thermostat? I do feel heat coming off of the baseboards, but the temperature in the apartment never really approaches what I find to be a reasonable temperature.

Old 01-21-13, 09:13 PM
The noise you hear on the base board is normal, and sounds is from the metal expanding with the temp changes. once it warms up then it goes away.

Is the t-stat staying on call of heat the whole time? (steady heat from the baseboard) Chances are the boiler is undersized and/or old and can't keep up.

Old 01-22-13, 07:11 AM
B
Re:

Thanks for the response. The water actually enters on one end of the apartment and runs through the living room, bedroom, and then bathroom. There is an exposed pipe in the bathroom and if you touch it, sometimes it is screaming hot and other times you can hold it, but it's still warm.

It is ridiculously cold right now (below 10), but on the other hand, I'm on the third floor (are the basement apartments even colder?).

Old 01-22-13, 12:35 PM
Ahh. yeah with those long loop, you are losing heat output at the end of the run.

I am sure the lower floor may be a little cooler than yours. At least you got some heat than none at all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: