Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

McQuay Heat Pump / Honeywell Prestige 2.0 IAQ Reversing Valve Question

Old 01-22-13, 07:31 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have read everything I could find on the net (including all the IMs/OMs for the relevant systems) and still can't find an answer so I thought I'd try asking for help!

On my new Honeywell Prestige 2.0 IAQ thermostat, I can select a heat pump as my system. However, I'm required to choose whether O or B heats or cools. As my McQuay heat WSHP does not use either in terms of calling for heat/cooling through the reversing valve, I don't know what to do (the IM says W1 energizes the heating system and fan).

While there is an O on the Mark IV control panel (no B though), the literature seems clear it doesn't involve the reversing valve. The one thing that is barely covered in the literature is that my system apparently has a motorized valve and relay, but I confirmed with the wiring diagram that I have that in the right place as well.

If I choose B on the thermostat, the compressor turns on and stays on heating the apartment but without being able to be turned off (and there's no indication on the stat that any equipment is running anywhere). If I choose O on the stat, then I freeze.

I've gotten around this by choosing "Other" or "Forced air around a water coil" as my options, but I'm a bit OCD and I can't believe my heat pump can't be listed on what seems to be a very decent stat.

My old thermostat was a Honeywell Pro TH4110D, with a switch in back for either Electric or Heat Pump or Gas or Oil (Electric/Heat Pump was selected) in case that helps.

Thanks very much for any help you can give!

Best regards.

Old 01-22-13, 12:42 PM
What is the model # on your outdoor unit?

How was it wired onto the old stat?

Old 01-22-13, 03:07 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
do you have an electronic copy of the McQuay manual or a link to one?

Old 01-22-13, 03:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Googling Mark IV control board, it looks like O=occupied, U= unoccupied and E= remote shut off.

Old 01-22-13, 07:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
http://www.daikinmcquay.com/mcquaybi...M/OM_120-3.pdf

I'd say do not select heat pump as the equipment type on the Honeywell IAQ.

Thermostat Inputs (G, Y1, W1, and W2)
Thermostat inputs used during occupied operation are G, Y1,
and W1, which when energized will activate the Fan Only,
Cooling Mode, and Heating Mode respectively.
The Mark IV/AC board is configured so that when either the Y1
or W1 input is energized the unit fan will also be activated with
Cooling or Heating Modes. In other words, energizing Y1 and G
together will have the same effect as energizing just Y1.
The board will be in occupied
mode if the unoccupied terminal
(U) is de-energized
Unoccupied Operation
The board will be in unoccupied mode if the unoccupied
terminal (U) is energized.
Control Inputs (HP, LT, COF, U, L, E, O)
The control inputs are High / Low Pressure (HP), Low Temperature
(LT), Condensate Overflow (COF), Unoccupied (U), Load
Shed (L), and Remote Shutdown (E).
Looks like O is tenant over ride...

Tenant Override (O): has no effect in occupied mode

Old 01-24-13, 11:30 AM
R
Thank you! Some clarifiations on McQuay Heat Pump Issue

Thanks so much for all your responses!

I actually live in a condo and so don't have to worry about the outside units (thank God). We don't have a backup heat source as the developer was cheap, but the units also are in a warm, ventilated room and so are less likely to develop ice.

I've been poring over all the literature available on my system (which apparently the installer did a particularly bad wiring job on initially). Basically to control the reversing valve, I have what the literature calls a "Motorized Valve and Relay." The trouble is, when I install everything according to spec (and I'm reasonably handy with electrical work), the heat pump engages when I select "B" for the reversing valve, but it refuses to take direction from the thermostat (the second the fuse box goes on even before the thermostat boots up, the compressor starts up and heat goes, but then I can't control it or turn it off). All the wiring from the thermostat is also correct as far as I can tell.

The most bizarre thing is that when I use the test feature on the thermostat in the installer section, the thermostat does send a signal for heat and appears to be communicating with the unit.

I certainly don't expect anyone to read any literature for me (you all have been far more helpful than I could possibly have hoped), but as there was a request, here is how to find the two relevant OM/IMs. One deals with only the Mark IV panel, the other with the Motorized Valve that controls the reversing valve. They are too big to be uploaded (although less than 500kb a piece) and when I tried to post a link, it was automatically rejected, so unfortunately the only way I can figure to show them to folks is by doing a google search for:

OM120-3 (Mark IV panel)

IM-953 (Motorized valve)

They'll pop up almost as the first result.

Thank you so much from the land of 10 degree temperatures lately!

Old 01-24-13, 03:03 PM
The motorized valve is a water valve not a reversing valve... How was the old thermostat wired? You should NOT setup the prestige as a Heat PUMP...

Old 01-25-13, 10:09 AM
R
Thanks again and follow up on relay

Thanks again so much for your help!

Basically I've wired everything the same as before. I'm now completely confused because I took out the wires to the box the installer said contained the controller for the reversing valve and just wired it very simply (Y1 - Y1, G-G, W1-W1) from the EIM to the Mark IV panel.

The heat pump setting still doesn't work in that the compressor refuses to be controlled by the thermostat and turns on immediately, but I'm toasty on the setting for "Other."

Does anyone have any idea what the Motorize Valve and Relay is used for? As it is completely unplugged and my installer said it controlled the reversing valve and I know we don't have a second heat source, I'm baffled. I also am a little nervous about just leaving it unplugged (it was plugged in with W1 for white, orange in V, and Yellow in Y1). I can't get a pic or literature uploaded here, but the OM is found by googling "IM-953".

The actual equipment is a six-pin adapter plug, plugging into a receptacle with two black wires running to the box controlling the reversing valve. The adapter plug has a green wire that connects to one black wire, a black wire that connects to nothing, and two blue wires, one of which connects to the second black wire running to the box and the other blue wire which falls out periodically and is connected to nothing. The green wire also ran to the "R" terminal on the Mark IV low voltage panel.

The adapter connects to a relay that has a white, orange, and yellow wire running from it. I've tried all the wiring diagrams in the IM-953 and nothing seemed to make any difference. I'm sorry I can't show you a pic as that would make it much easier to understand what I'm saying, but hte IM-953 does a decent job of showing what is there.

At this point I'm just wanting to make sure that I'm not going to burn down my condo by leaving those wires unplugged to my Prestige 2.0 IAQ Honeywell stat, but I'm pretty sure the wiring was already so bad that a $300 service call is just going to reveal it is something that would be used if I had auxiliary heat, which we don't.

Thanks again so much for all the help!

Old 01-25-13, 05:20 PM
Typically ( not being familiar with your system at all) the valve and relay is a water valve that opens the water to flow through your unit for the unit to operate. You need to put everything back the way it was then tell us how it is wired if it works and then we will tell you how to wire the prestige.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: