Looking for a thermostat for my hot water baseboard heating system

Old 01-26-13, 02:33 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Looking for a thermostat for my hot water baseboard heating system

In my home I currently have the following:

1) Boiler with a holding tank for the hot water
2) Circulator Pump for the holding tank
3) Circulator Pump B&G 1/12 hp for the 1st floor (This is for 4 rooms with radiators)
4) Circulator Pump B&G 1/12 hp for the 2nd floor (This is for 3 rooms with radiators)
5) Circulator Pump B&G 1/2 hp for the 1st floor. This is for all the areas that have tiles. This includes the kitchen, hallway, foyer and family room. The family room has radiators as well (1st floor).

Now, I am looking for a thermostat that possibly can do the following:

The Kitchen is currently set to 66 degrees all the time. It takes a while to run hot water through all the tubing of the radiant heat which is through the sub floor. It seems the longer the system runs, the warmer the home stays for longer periods of time which in turns means savings on gas bills. This is the coldest area on the 1st floor.

The Master Bedroom has the same issue in where it is set to 64 during the day and 66 at night. Although on cold days the system kicks on and off (all the time).

Now, the question:

Do they make a thermostat that I can set say for 66 degrees and when the thermostat calls for heat, the room or area will heat up to 68 degrees and then shut off. What I would like is the thermostat not to turn back on at 66 degrees but 64 degrees making the system run longer. Basically a thermostat with a + 2 and a - 2 degrees setting before shutting off and kicking back on from the set temperature.

I have kind of manually done this will the rooms where I have not lowered the settings on the thermostats and my gas bills have decreased over the last few years.

The only other option is to find a thermostat that has 12 programmable settings each day that I have not been able to find. The ones I am using have 4 settings each day.

The name and model number of the thermostat would be helpful. Thank you.

Old 01-26-13, 06:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
No, you are not going to find a t-stat with that large of a temp swing, also with 12 program each day.. Why so many programing? If you had that many, the savings are not there.

If you get a good stat like Honeywell, set the CPH at a longer rate such as 2 or maybe 1 in your case.

Old 01-26-13, 07:39 PM
C
Please explain what CPH is? At a longer rate such as 2 or maybe 1? Thank you.

Old 01-26-13, 07:48 PM
CPH is Cycle per hour. The setting kinda(not always) limits the t-stat to cycle numbers of times per hour. it will be in the advanced setting of the t-stat. In the book it may say "system type", and that is the CPH.

Old 01-27-13, 05:50 AM
C
Thank you. This will probably solve my problem. I am awaiting a Honeywell Thermostat to replace the new Lowes thermostat that will not shut off after 2 hours in the temporary mode. I know Honeywell RTH230B will allow you to do this. I am almost positive that this allows you to set the CPH (Cycles per hour). I will program both rooms from upstairs and downstairs to Cycle at the same time taking advantage of the boiler and hot water.

Old 01-27-13, 06:07 AM
Once you get this stat, give it time to learn the home. This model it looks like it will only go to 2.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: