Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Some questions about my entire home heating / cooling / humidifying / thermostat

Some questions about my entire home heating / cooling / humidifying / thermostat

Old 01-26-13, 09:31 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My house currently has:

1. Trane XV90 furnace (two stage heat, variable speed fan)
2. Aprilaire 600 with its own humidifier control in the ductwork
3. Trane XL19i 2 stage air conditioner
4. Honeywell VisionPro 8000 (TH8320U-1008)Thermostat

I have a split level home with 5 half floors in Chicago…

Now onto the issue…

Currently, it appears from my testing that the humidifier water solenoid is stuck open and the ductwork mounted humidity panel is not working.

For the solenoid valve, the water runs through it without power applied. I tried blowing compressed air through the valve to clear out any junk when energized but it still leaks when not in use. It doesn’t appear to have a inline filter installed.
As for the humidity control panel, I tested this by rotating the dial all the way up to TEST, and then verifying that the input voltage is present, but the solenoid power is not present. So, I need to replace the solenoid valve, and maybe the control panel, unless I rework some things...

There are some issues with my current setup that I’m not happy with...

First off, because of the 5 floors, I like to keep the fan on at low speed to normalize the temperature between the floors. With my current setup, the fan runs at a higher speed which gets annoying.

Secondly, the humidifier only runs when the furnace is running. Maybe I should have a thermostat control everything: heating, cooling, humidifying, and better fan speed control for recirculation. I think a thermostat that controls humidity would turn the furnace fan on to allow the addition of humidity to the house, correct? How about de-humidification? Would it run the A/C to de-humidify and add heat to maintain temperature?

My present thermostat doesn’t control humidity or have variable fan speed control. A while ago, someone suggested that a Honeywell IAQ thermostat would take care of all issues above.

Now, there is neat new Trane ComfortLink II 7” color thermostat that just came out which interests me, but I’m not sure if it has the IAQ functionality as the older thermostats. Does anyone have any information on this new thermostat and IAQ functionality?

So, now that you’re up to speed with my situation, any suggestions before I proceed? I prefer to keep ahead of the technology curve when upgrading.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-27-13, 06:11 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If your fan speed is fast, sounds like the dip switches are not set up right, or wireing on the control board.

The new Trane t-stat can work with your furnace if you use the EIM with it.

Sounds like the valve needs to be replaced.

Old 01-27-13, 04:43 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I agree with Jay.......................................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: