Smart Thermostat

Old 02-16-13, 09:37 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smart Thermostat

Hello,

I have a honeywell th9421c1004 and was reading about some smart thermostats here:
HDTV and Home Theater Podcast - Podcasts - Podcast #568: Super Bowl 2013 and Smart Thermostats

I saw the honeywell they talked about which looks to be a different model but the screen looks identical to mine. I am wondering if there might be a module that allows for me to make my honeywell i have currently able to be controlled via the internet?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-13, 10:08 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You have a visionPRO IAQ thermostat. There is no module, yet, to let you do that. Your thermostat uses an Equipment Interface Module located at the furnace or air handler. You can NOT just by a simple replacement. That thermostat was likely used because you did not have enough wires in the wall for the type of equipment that was installed or because it controls other accessories such as a humidifer, dehumidifer, or ventilation equipment. Honeywell is making a new VPIAQ that will have WiFi access, I believe I was told sometime in the next 6 months.

Old 02-16-13, 10:17 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. You are right that it was installed due to other equipment. We have an air exchanger that this also controls. Boy, would be nice if they can create one for it vs me having to buy another simply to get that functionality. If i remember it was a pretty spendy unit.

Old 02-16-13, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
it is a costly unit. They have an upgrade right now to a color touch screen that is the Prestige IAQ but you have to add an internet gateway for WiFi access. That is what I have, and I bet if you were given the option when your thermostat was put in that you would have chosen the prestige over the IAQ, but that is the past. There is no plan that I know of for an additional module that can be added on to that thermostat for WiFi access. Your current thermostat has been out for a number of years before the idea to control HVAC over the web for HOMES was even really a thought.