Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Replacing Honeywell VisionPro IAQ Thermostat With VisionPro WiFi Thermostat

Old 02-23-13, 09:17 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I would like to replace my 2 thermostats with wifi thermostats. One of my HVAC systems is basic and will be no problem. The other system has a Trane variable speed furnace with a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ thermostat. I think the IAQ thermostat was required to control the variable speed function of the furnace. I would like to replace both thermostats with new Honeywell VisionPro WiFi thermostats.

The problem I am running into is that there are only 3 wires going to the VisionPro IAQ thermostat connection block marked C, R, and Data. These 3 wires go to a remote equipment module mounted on the furnace. The VisionPro WiFi looks like the connection block needs the standard wires like G, W, C, Y, R, etc.

I believe I am going to have to remove the remote equipment module and hardwire the new wifi thermostat to the furnace.

Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Thanks,

Bill in Woodstock

Last edited by hvactechfw; 02-23-13 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Removed link to a different forum
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-13, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
I believe I am going to have to remove the remote equipment module and hardwire the new wifi thermostat to the furnace.
I don't think you can remove that module and still have the unit function correctly.

Jay, the thermostat guru, and the other HVAC guys pass thru all the time so check back later for a definitive answer.

Old 02-23-13, 10:02 AM
G
PJmax - Thanks for the quick reply. I will be interested to see what Jay or others have to say.
Two other pieces of information that I should have put in my original question are:

This came from the company that installed my HVAC system. "The Honeywell VisionPro 8000 WIFI thermostat will work with both of your systems."

From Honeywell Customer Service: "VisionPRO IAQ thermostat uses a equipment module in order to control the heating and cooling systems wherein on the other hand VisionPRO Wi-Fi enabled model TH8320WF is a hardwired thermostat and does not require a module. The wires from the systems need to be directly connected to the Wi-Fi model. TH8320WF is a professionally installed unit, we recommend you speaking to a licensed HVAC contractor for compatibility and installation queries."

I believe that I should be able to Do It Myself.

Old 02-23-13, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Amazon.com: Honeywell YTHX9421R5051 Prestige IAQ 2.0 Thermostat Kit: Home Improvement

The Honeywell YTHX9421R5051 Prestige IAQ would replace your IAQ without losing the ability to control your variable speed blower motor to reduce humidity in the space.

It would require a separate internet gateway.

Old 02-23-13, 10:41 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Houston is correct and personally I would go that route.

The TH8320WF will control both your sytems, but you will loose the function of dehumidification with a/c doing that and it will also require more wires run to the current IAQ stat location. Does the IAQ also control a humidifier?

What is the make and model number of your furnace?

Old 02-23-13, 01:02 PM
G
Thanks for both of the new replies.

I have a Trane XV80 (two stage, variable speed) gas furnace. The IAQ does not control a humidifier.

Since the current IAQ is working fine I will have to decide if wifi is worth $300 (the Prestige kit and the gateway) at this thermostat. I was ok with about $120 to replace each of the thermostats but $300 for one and then probably another $150 for the other may make it cost prohibitive.

When the company that installed my HVAC system said "The Honeywell VisionPro 8000 WIFI thermostat will work with both of your systems." I wonder if they intended to bypass the equipment interface module?

Old 02-23-13, 01:29 PM
you can't bypass the EIM without running more wires. And even then you would lose the dehumidification function. Everything else would work fine, but you still need to run more wires.

Old 02-23-13, 01:35 PM
G
Thanks again.

The unit is in the attic right above the thermostat so running new wires won't be a problem.

I don't want to lose the dehumidification so that may be a deal killer for me.

Old 02-23-13, 02:30 PM
well, you still have dehumidification.... the a/c acts as a dehumidifier.... The dehumidification with the IAQ slows the blower down during a/c to make to coil colder and remove more humidity quicker.

2 solutions to be able to still use the wifi version....

1) add a manual Humidistat on the wall next to or above or below the current stat location.

2) add a manual humidistat in the ductwork (can't adjust from the living space)

Old 11-18-13, 11:14 AM
C
Replacing a Honeywell th8110u with a th8320r1008

hello, i have a regular steam system and i want to use the th8320r1008 thermostat so that i can take advantage of the wireless indoor sensor bc the back of my house is always cold while the front is always hot. can i use this thermostat with a regular heating only system? also, i dont think i have an available c wire to connect to my thermostat is that going to be an issue for me?