Help! Replacing thermostat - another wiring question.

Old 03-30-13, 05:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! Replacing thermostat - another wiring question.

Hi all,

I just replaced a Carrier thermostat - model TSTATCCBHP01-B - I took it to home depot and they recommended a Honeywell RTH3100C... The Carrier has 6 wires, W,O,G,R,C,Y - The Honeywell has 9 ports I can connect to - E, Aux, Y, G, O, L, R, B, and C. The manual says that C is optional... but I don't have an L or an E... I was told by Honeywell, that the W cable on the Carrier would be equal to my Aux.. besides that everything that was in the carrier, is in the same corresponding section on the Honeywell... It's on, I have set up... I hear it click, however I get no A/C and no heat... the fan doesn't come on, and nothing is going on outside...

Did I get the wrong thermostat? Is there something else I can try? Its warming up in Florida, and I could really use my a/c!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-13, 07:33 PM
What was wrong with the old stat?

Did you turn off the breaker when you started this, and then turn it back on again?

Old 03-30-13, 07:46 PM
C is used to power the stat without batteries. Your "w" from the carrier should match up to the "aux" on the new stat. Make sure the stat is on or else it won't operate. Set it to heat and check for operation, same for cooling. I'm assuming you have a heat pump. Aux works the heat pump and "e" would be your emergency electric backup.....correct?

Old 03-30-13, 09:31 PM
The display was intermittently going out (it was non-battery powered) - that's why I replaced... The thermostat is on, reading temperature and everything.. however, when I try to turn it on.. the fan, a/c, or heat - i get nothing... thermostat says it is on, but I get nothing... thermostat appears to be functioning like it's supposed to, but whatever triggers the unit to turn on isn't working.

Old 03-30-13, 09:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
How about when you put the fan switch from auto to on. Does that bring the fan on ?

Old 03-30-13, 10:04 PM
nope... nothing at all.. the unit is only about 5 years old, and no issues at all up until this.

Old 03-30-13, 10:18 PM
Group Moderator
Ok..... like Jay mentioned earlier..... if you didn't turn the power off to the unit then there is a good chance you shorted the wiring and you blew a fuse on the control board inside the air handler.

It should be a 4 or 5 amp plastic push-in fuse.

Old 03-30-13, 10:37 PM
I had the main breaker to the house off when I swapped it out - I double checked the fuse anyways, and it's fine.

Old 03-30-13, 10:45 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... Do you have a voltmeter and do you know how to use it ?

You said that the display on your old non-battery thermostat was going on and off. Maybe it wasn't a bad thermostat. It may be you have a 24 vac issue or a loose wire between the air handler and the thermostat location.

Old 03-31-13, 09:38 AM
You can simply check with a jumper instead of a volt meter. Jump from r to g and your fan should come on, if it doesn't then you don't have 24v there and you may have a loose wire somewhere, a blown fuse or a burnt xformer