Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Converting from Line Voltage Thermostat to 24v, is the aquastat a part of it?

Old 04-15-13, 11:32 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have two standard line voltage thermostats running on a live voltage boiler system. Heat only.

Two heat zones.

I understand the basic conversion equation. Each heating thermostat needs a relay to convert line to 24v. The thermostats I have also require a 24v common wire. I currently only gave two line voltage wires going up to each thermostat.

What I believe I need to do is run a third wire powered by a 24v transformer to both thermostat locations. I now have three total wires in each thermostat box.

I can then hook up the two line voltage wires in each thermostat location to the relays at the boiler and connect the thermostat end of those line voltage wires to 24v wires and into the new thermostats along with the new third wire providing always on 24v power.

Am I on the right path so far? Here is where the curve ball comes in...

I'm working with what I feel like is an old school boiler technician who is telling me:

A) I need to replace my aquastat in order to complete the conversion. I have no idea how the aquastat comes into play if the relays connect right to each heating zone's pump. The thermostat "system" turns the zones on and off and is not connected to the "Boiler/firing" system.

B) I have 24v Central AC (installed a few years ago). It has a 24v common wire. I thought of using that 24v common wire to power atleast the heating thermostat that sits directly next to the AC thermostat (no idea why they did not combine it when they installed it). The Boiler tech tells me I cannot use the 24V common coming from my Central AC.

Can you help me clear some of this up?

Old 04-16-13, 12:37 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Assuming I have correctly understood what you have and what you want I can absolutely tell you how to accomplish the deep.

But before I spend all that time please post back so that I know you are not a "one-post" wonder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: