Help replacing a Carrier thermostat with Honeywell 8320 Zwave

Old 09-29-13, 06:17 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Help replacing a Carrier thermostat with Honeywell 8320 Zwave

Hi all,

I'm stumped trying to figure out where I went wrong trying to install a new Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007. The old thermo is a Carrier tstatccprh01-b. System is a single-stage Carrier gas furnace 58sta110-16 (which I assume to be single-stage) and Trane AC. The furnace does have an Aprilaire humidifier installed on it.

Carrier had the following wires connected:
O/W2 (orange)
R (red)
G (green)
Y/Y2 (yellow)
W/W1 (white)
C (black)
DHUM (dark grey)
HUM light grey)
S1 (purple)
S2 (brown)

I connected up the Honeywell by moving over the corresponding wires to:
R
Rc (bridged with R)
G
Y
W
C

That left previous wires unused from DHUM, HUM, S1,S2 and 0/W2.

When I powered back up, the unit lit up, fan was controllable, but "cooling" mode powered on the furnace, and "heat" powered the AC. The system type selection code (170) did not appear when scrolling through the installer codes.

I would love some help.

Old 09-29-13, 09:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
R, RC, C, W-O/B, W2-E/Aux, Y, Y2, G, L, K, S1, S2

Your new stat will not support your dehumidifcation or your humidifier.
I recommend replacing your outdoor sensor with a Honeywell C7089U1006
Remote Outdoor Sensor.

O/W2 (orange) = W-O/B
R (red) = Rc & R
G (green) = G
Y/Y2 (yellow) = Y
W/W1 (white) = W2-E/Aux
C (black) = C
DHUM (dark grey) = not supported
HUM light grey) = not supported
S1 (purple) = S1
S2 (brown) = S2

You must also configure your new stat for heatpump with Aux heat.

Set option 170 to 7

Old 09-29-13, 03:08 PM
R
Houston204,

Thanks, but I'm kind of confused by your response. I don't have a heat pump system, it's a single-stage gas furnace with separate AC. Also, option 170 does not appear when scrolling through the installer codes. Finally, I don't see any evidence that there is an existing outdoor sensor tied to the system.

Old 09-29-13, 04:13 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Carrier had the following wires connected:
O/W2 (orange)
R (red)
G (green)
Y/Y2 (yellow)
W/W1 (white)
C (black)
DHUM (dark grey)
HUM light grey)
S1 (purple)
S2 (brown)
Option 170 is the option that allows you to choose the type of system you have.
That should be the first option that shows up after getting into the set-up menu. Are you sure you are in the installer's menu? Here is a link to the guide: https://customer.honeywell.com/resou...69-2655EFS.pdf Look on page 6 for the installer set-up and page 7 for the settings. It appears for Option 170 your setting would be 1.
S1 (purple) and S2 (brown), as you listed as being connected, are for an outdoor sensor so you can see what the temperature is outside. The outdoor sensor is optional. You listed S1 and S2 as being connected so a person would have to assume you have a sensor connected. Your original thermostat is called a thermidistat control and is why you had optional terminals for the humidifier.

O/W2 would be for second-stage heat. You stated you have single stage heat so that wire would be unused. Since we are not sure how your humidifier is wired we would need additional information. I have seen some Aprilaire humidifiers that have one of the wires attached to the HUM terminal on the furnace control board and the other attached to the "C" (common) terminal where the thermostat wires attach to the furnace control board.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 09-29-13 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-29-13, 05:09 PM
R
Thanks again to those who have replied.

I think what I'm mostly after is help figuring out why the heat and AC functions are running in reverse.

firedawgsatx, yes I was definitely in the installer mode, though my options and manual for the TH8320ZW I have are different from the link you sent. My installer options start with 120 (Year), but when I scroll through it skips from 165 (Restore Energy Saving Schedule) to 280 (Continuous Backlight.)

Old 09-29-13, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
In the link below is your thermostat. It starts at 120 but does include system type.... step170.

Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007/U Z-Wave Enabled Programmable Thermostat

Old 09-29-13, 05:46 PM
R
PJmax,

Yes, that is the manual I have. For some reason the thermostat skips over option 170 during installer mode.

Old 09-29-13, 07:24 PM
Are you sure you are going into the installer's menu? The user manual and the installation manual are totally different. Entry into the user menu and the installer's menu are different. For installer's menu you push "system" button and then push two buttons on either side of the center one until display changes to enter the advanced menu with Option 170. Either that or your thermostat is faulty. The reason your thermostat is not working correctly for you is you have to get into Option 170 and set it to the appropriate system. Based on what you are telling us you are using only the user manual instructions found here: https://customer.honeywell.com/resou...69-2485EFS.pdf and not the installation manual I provided earlier. If you take the time to study what I am saying I believe you will find your solution.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 09-29-13 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-29-13, 08:12 PM
R
Yes, I'm sure. However, the default for this therm is 1 heat/1 cool conventional, which seems to describe my system, so I'm not sure that accessing that option would help me anyway, right?

Old 09-29-13, 09:20 PM
It would seem so if that is setting is the default. But there still has to be a reason why you can't access the installer's menu. Do you have the yellow wire on the Y terminal and the white wire on the W terminal at the furnace control board? If you jumper between R and W terminals on the furnace control board does the furnace start up? If you jumper between R and Y on the furnace control board will the compressor start up?

Old 09-30-13, 04:38 PM
R
Do you have any tips if I'm going to go about doing that jumpering test on the furnace control panel? That's normally a little farther than I'd be comfortable going.

Old 09-30-13, 05:16 PM
The purpose of jumpering between terminals is to bypass the thermostat and determine if the thermostat is the cause for your system to work backwards. Turn off power to the furnace. Find the location of the terminals marked R, G, W, Y and etc. on the furnace control board. Use a piece of wire bent into a "U" shape as a jumper to place between the R and W and the R and Y terminals one set at a time. Then turn the power back on to the furnace. Make sure power is off to furnace each time wiring changes are made. Placing the jumper between the R and W terminals should turn on the furnace and between R and Y should start the a/c compressor. If you don't feel comfortable doing it at the furnace control board you can do this:

Turn off power to the furnace
Remove the R, W and Y wires from the thermostat. Do not let the wires touch each other. To test the heat function touch R to W. To test if the compressor will come on touch the R to Y wires. If the heat comes on and the compressor starts up that would tell you that there is an issue with the thermostat.

Before doing these jumper tests I would shut off power to the furnace and then back on. Then go into the installer's menu by touching the system button and then the two buttons on either side of center at the bottom to see if you can get into the Option 170.

Here is a photo of a board similar to yours showing which terminals to jump for heat activation.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 09-30-13 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 05:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have a wire on W1 and a different wire on W2 you have 2 stage heat.

Are you pressing the center button or the buttons on either side of the center button to enter the installer menu?

Old 09-30-13, 05:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
firedawgsatx you are too fast for me

Old 10-01-13, 02:58 PM
R
I wanted to thank those who commented on this thread.

I unwired and rewired everything on the Honeywell thermostat. I was then able to get into the System Type option (170) on the installer menu. It was set to 7, rather than the default of 1 stated in the Installation Guide. Once I set it to 1, the correct mode for my system, it seems to be working fine!

Old 10-01-13, 03:14 PM
Glad to hear you were able to get it to operate correctly and it wasn't anything more serious. Thanks for letting us know the outcome!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: