Thermostat wires only control gas

Old 10-27-13, 09:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat wires only control gas

Just moved into a rental house and turned on the heater. In the furnace closet there is a wall toggle switch that turns on and off the electrical supply to the furnace. That is very common. My issue is that the thermostat only has two wires that control when the burner gets lit or not based on the temperature that you set, but the fan is not controlled at all at the thermostat through the red and white wires that are there. Instead, if the power is going to the furnace via the toggle in the furnace closet, the fan is constant on. That appears to be the only way to get it to run or shut off. I have come across plenty of two-wire thermostat scenarios, but the fan motor is still linked with burner operation....this one is not. The net effect is that if I want my house to stay warm durinng the night, the fan runs all night (utility bill nightmare) and the burner kicks on an off when the temperature drops below the setting, but the times when the burner kicks off, the fan is effectively blowing cold air while the burner is disengaged causing the burner to have to fire more often also causing more gas usage....Yikes! Someone please tell me there is an easy wiring fix for this........

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-13, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
There is usually another rocker switch in the furnace to allow the fan to cycle with the burners.

Is this a Nordyne furnace? Post the make and model number.

Old 10-27-13, 10:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Model

The unit is a....

Day & Night
100CU-12B
Series 152