Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Trane TCONT803 stat shutting off unit before temp set point is reached

Old 11-15-13, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a question regarding my TCONT803 stat. This is my second year to have it and I noticed an issue after calling for heat the first time this year. Problem is that the stat shuts the unit down before the actual temp equals the set temp by as much as 4 or 5 degrees. I've especially noticed this in the morning when the stat is set to 60 overnight and then calls for 67 between 7AM - 9AM.

I didn't notice this during last season when calling for heat and set temp vs. actual temp wasn't at all a problem during the past several months of running the AC.

Overnight the scheduled set temp from 11PM until 7AM was 60. I know the temp inside the house was down to 63 around 4AM when I woke up and checked the stat.

The schedule is for the internal temp to be 68 at 7AM. While in bed I heard the unit running sometime around 6AM and went back to sleep.

Woke up at 6:55AM and checked the stat. Unit was not running and the internal temp was 64, set temp showed 68 with "Heat On" indicated and "Following Schedule Recovery" also indicated. Fan setting indicated "Auto" and System indicated "Heat" and 35% humidity.

Went back to sleep and woke up at 8:47AM and checked the stat. Unit was not running and the internal temp was now 63, set temp showed 68 with "Heat On" indicated and "Following Schedule Recovery" also indicated. Fan setting indicated "Auto" and System indicated "Heat" and 35% humidity.

14 minutes later at 9:01AM the unit started running. At 9AM my temp schedule changes from 68 to 65. At this time the internal temp was 63, set temp showed 65 with "Heat On" indicated and "Following Schedule" also indicated. Fan setting indicated "Auto" and System indicated "Heat" and 36% humidity and it ran until 9:57AM when it reached the set point of 65.

Thanks for any help with this, it's much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-13, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts

I'd verify that the the stat wire is sealed to the wall behind the stat, verify that no error codes appear on the furnace, check the air filter and change function 680 from 2 to 1.

Old 11-15-13, 07:11 PM
Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply...

I have verified the stat wire is sealed. The hole in the wall is small and is filled with expanding spray foam insulation. I don't know how to check for errors on the furnace but could attempt to if I knew how.

In my owner's manual, setting 680 to 1 states "Less aggressive temperature control (could cause temperature undershoot)" That seems opposite of what I need. Am I misunderstanding something.

Old 11-15-13, 07:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
1 Choose if room does not reach heat setting after recovery.
I read this in the posted pic.

Old 11-15-13, 07:24 PM
Yes... I saw that. It seems opposite of what the documentation says that came with the stat. Guess I could try it out and see how it changes things in the morning. Thanks

Old 11-15-13, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator

Many furnaces have an LED visible through a small window in the furnace blower panel.

You count the flashing code and refer to the chart on the furnace panel or look up the codes on the internet.

A Goodman example...

A Carrier example...

Old 11-15-13, 07:31 PM
Very helpful info... appreciate it.