Erie Poptop Actuator - C wire for thermostat?

Old 11-18-13, 10:50 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Erie Poptop Actuator - C wire for thermostat?

First off, as you read this post, you'll see that I don't know much other than a few days of internet research. So thanks in advance for any help and recommendations. I have the Erie Poptop Actuator 2 postion normally closed valve control. There are actually 3 in series. I am looking to replace my current thermostat (non-programmable) with a wifi thermostat that requires a c-wire. My goal is to be able to control the thermostat remotely from an iphone. The house has heating in it only and the current thermostat has 2 wires coming into it - W (white) and R/H (red). The PopTop has the following wires:

TH - red
TR - red
TH/TR (hard to see in my picture. Possibly TH/T?) - white
ES (on top) - black
ES (on bottom - there are two screws marked ES one above the other) - red

I'm going to admit ignorance here. I pulled the old thermostat off, found the 2 wires, found an ethernet cable back there too, and didn't pull it out to see if anything else was underneath it. I don't know if the black wire on ES is hidden back there.

Question: I want to set up this thermostat that requires a C-wire. What are my options? Is black by chance a c-wire (i think black is the standard color for a c-wire, right?) and is it probably buried back there? I'm not at the house until this weekend and don't have a good internet connection there, so I can't check immediately. Do I have an option to use the ethernet cable to create a c-wire? If so, what do I do with it?

To complicate matters a little bit with the c-wire, it looks like the prior owners put that cable in themselves, took the multiple (3) thermostat's ethernet cables to a mini-router, and then a single ethernet cable down to the garage where the heating equipment is.

The heating will be on through the entire fall/winter/spring and periodically in the summer - every few weeks at least. I have also heard that some thermostats that require a c-wire can function without one if the heat is on frequently enough to charge them. Just trying to put all that I know out there.

Thanks very much in advance. Any recommendations you might have on what my options are would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-21-13, 09:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
http://www.tac.com/data/internal/dat.../F_27204_3.pdf

I'd use figure 4 to help track the function of each wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: