Thermostat Not Regulating Temperature Properly?

Old 11-30-13, 07:39 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat Not Regulating Temperature Properly?

I have a Lux TX500E thermostat. It controls the heat until it reaches the programmed temperature and then shuts off. However, the temperature on the thermostat shows (and where it cuts out) is much warmer than the room actually is. I am measuring using several other thermometers, all located near the thermostat. The thermostat faces north on an interior wall.

I adjusted the calibration to be -3, which means that if the thermostat thinks it is 68, it will read as 65. That seemed to work for a few days, but now it is again shutting off when the room is 62 when set to 65.

The surfaces temperature of the wall (using a kids infrared thermometer) is above 65. There is no supply register nearby. Is it possible that is affecting it? Is there any way to hook up an external thermometer to it instead?

Any idea what the issue is? Could I just need a new thermostat? I don't want to have to constantly adjust it manually.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-13, 09:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
http://www.luxproducts.com/support/T...nual121409.pdf

SWING SETTING
A thermostat works by turning your heating or cooling system on and off
whenever the room temperature varies from the set-point temperature. The
amount of this variation is called the “swing.” Your system should cycle on about
3 to 6 times per hour. A smaller swing number increases the number of cycles per
hour, so the room temperature is more precise and constant. A larger swing
number decreases the number of cycles per hour, but saves energy in most cases.
To change the Swing setting, turn the dial to RUN mode. Hold down the NEXT
button and push the HOLD button once, then let go of both. The words SWING and
SET will appear on the screen with a number. Use the UP/DOWN buttons to
change the number value between 1 and 9. Number 1 is the default setting. Press
the NEXT button to accept the setting and return to normal Run mode.
I'm no fan of Lux thermostats but you might increase the Swing setting.

Old 12-01-13, 07:19 AM
C
Houston --
Thanks for the thoughts. Wouldn't increasing the swing just let it get colder before it kicks on? Or am I not understanding it right. I saw that in the manual, but couldn't figure it out.

What thermostats do you like? I am definitely open to getting a new one. The house is freezing some days...

Old 12-01-13, 08:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I only trust Honeywell stats on my house. I had a new Lux stat that looked a lot like that one when I bought my house and I threw it out and put a Honeywell on the wall.

If you had a Honeywell and told me that you had these symptoms with the factory cycles per hour, I would recommend that you set the heating CPH's to 3.
The Honeywell factory setting for electric heat is 9 cycles per hour.

Your stat has a factory setting of 1. Increasing this number decreases the cycles per hour. (The reverse of Honeywell) It shouldn't cycle off so quickly if you raise the setting from 1 to 3.

Old 12-03-13, 07:02 PM
C
Oven is the culprit

So, I figured out what the issue is. It's not the thermostat itself, but the oven. Our oven is in the wall behind the thermostat (about 8 feet away). When the oven is on (and for a while after we use it), the wall heats up and the thermostat turns off while the rest of the room is cold (the oven doesn't impact the room temperature much).

Is there anything I can do short of moving the thermostat? There's not even another good place on the first floor.

Can I get an external probe so the temp is measured in a different spot?

Old 12-04-13, 12:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, I don't see sensor terminals on your stat.

The Honeywell Prestige works with wireless remote sensors. It even has an available wireless remote control that can be used as the sensor.