Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Who makes a thermostat that allows me to turn the heating OFF for certain days?

Old 02-10-14, 11:00 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I've contacted Honeywell & Lux and they don't sell a programmable unit that allows me to turn off the heat completely for certain days of the week. They all have minimum temperatures, which isn't what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Here is what I need:

Mon: OFF
Tues: On from 1-7pm
Wed: On from 1-7pm
Thur: On from 1-7pm
Fri:OFF
Sat:OFF
Sun:OFF

Old 02-11-14, 01:04 PM
K
bump

I really was surprised to learn that they don't make a thermostat that will do this. Seems like a pretty simple idea. Can anyone suggest a work around or a manufacturer to check into?

Old 02-11-14, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen one that does that...though the wireless (NEST, etc) may be able to allow you to do it remotely?

Any reason the minimums wouldn't work? If you gave more details on WHY, then there may be other solutions.

Old 02-11-14, 02:14 PM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
They don't make one because its a bad idea. Especially if you're located in an area where freezing can occure. Any house needs aminimum heat to prevent damage. If you want to turn if off then cut the power to your whole house. But I would'nt do that.

Old 02-11-14, 02:14 PM
K
Thanks for the reply.

It's for a very old building with ZERO insulation. It's hooked up to a gas furnace with a big fan that throws a lot of hot air fast.

Someone is using the building 3 days a week to teach kids dance. In the winter she normally comes in an hour before class to start the heater. I'd like to get something that can automatically turn it on for her. But I don't want to heat the entire building to 40 degrees (minimum for most thermostats) on the days she isn't there. It would cost me a fortune to heat it during those days.

I will eventually get it insulated. After I fix the roof, and the lights, and the wiring, and the floor boards, and the windows....the list never ends!

Old 02-11-14, 02:37 PM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
You need to Google HEAVY DUTY PROGRAMMABLE TIME.
Better still contact you local electrical supply dealer and inquirer if they have anything for your application. What's important is the voltage and amperage draw. You may need to have it installed by a licensed electrician.

Old 02-11-14, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Ahhh...much clearer now. Actually have done some work in a similar 100 y/o building used as a gym. These were hanging NG space heaters...but similar issue. Gotta show up early to get some heat in the building.

Nope...I don't think there is a solution unless one of the wireless stats would work. Then it could be turned off and on remotely. Not cheap though....and have heard they can be problematic.

Old 02-11-14, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
The venstars are one day units... The flat stat and platinum series AFAIK...These are residential...The have commercial too.

Venstar Inc. - Thermostats

Old 02-11-14, 06:08 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Simplest is a seven-day time clock in the power circuit of the furnace. About a hundred dollars last I checked.

Old 02-12-14, 07:13 AM
K
Thanks for the suggestion lawrosa. Venstar suggested the T6800:

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for choosing Venstar thermostats. I would recommend the T6800 for your uninsulated application. It is programmable and during the unoccupied times it can be programmed to be "off"

Old 02-12-14, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Well there ya go...see what happens when the Pro's weigh in?

Old 02-28-14, 01:41 AM
J
I would suggest communicating thermostats with 7 day programming if your unit can support it. That will allow you to specify specfic operating times per room. Try taking a look at the Aprilaire 8800. It by far is one of the best thermostats I have seen around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: