What is a good normal affordable programmable thermostat?

Old 02-22-14, 03:48 PM
What is a good normal affordable programmable thermostat?

I had a Filtrete thermostat. It wouldn't go off until the temperature dropped...I am guessing that is a swing type thermostat. I bought a wifi Honeywell. It has a cycle rate and I put it on 3. Now, what's the difference and can I save money more with using the Filtrete swing type thermostat? Or should I stay with the wifi Honeywell and leave it on 3 cycles? Which thermostat would you recommend for a Goodman GMT115-5. It has a 115,000 BTU's.

Thanks in advance for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-14, 04:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 10
I'd keep the Honeywell and verify that the thermostat wire hole behind the thermostat is sealed and both heating and cooling CPH are set for 3. The stat should be located on an interior wall in a location that direct sunlight from windows and airflow directly from a supply register will not affect operation. The thermostat is measuring to the tenth of a degree even though it only displays whole numbers.

I have customers sit by their thermostat with a thermometer and stopwatch and I worry that they will always be unhappy since they are trying so hard to be.

Old 02-22-14, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
I have customers sit by their thermostat with a thermometer and stopwatch and I worry that they will always be unhappy since they are trying so hard to be.
You too.... huh.......

Old 02-23-14, 01:42 PM
It's turning on too many times at 3 cycles. Should I put it on 1? And I do have a large hole behind my thermostat. Approx. 2 inch wide and 2 inch long. Maybe less. But, it's not a normal size hole. Why should I cover it if a wall plate sits over it? Does it bring air from it? And there are only two types of furnaces right? The ones that work with cycles and the ones that have a swing? I heard the ones with cycles (like the Honeywell thermostat I have) run the furnace too much and bring more wear and tear on the parts and then you will need to change them quicker.

Old 02-23-14, 03:58 PM
PJmax, I guess there are a lot of complaints about this thermostat?

Old 02-23-14, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 10
The thermostat can pick up the temperature in the wall which may be open to an attic or basement. This hole should be sealed for improved temperature control.