Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Old Modine Gas Ind. Propeller Heater + Line Voltage T-stat (T-stat replacement)

Old 02-27-14, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey Folks,

I have a Modine Gas Fired Propeller Heater with an old King 110/220v 22amp line voltage thermostat. The thermostat appears to have gone bad so I'm looking to replace it, and hopefully I'd like to use a programmable unit.

The Aube TH106 appears like it will work for my purposes but it has a _minimum_ 2amp load requirement while the heater merely has a 6amp rating on it. When I start the heater, it appears to go through two phases, first a much quieter warm up period for about 30-60 seconds before the main blower starts. The t-stat is designed for electrical heaters, and oddly this gas unit has line voltage controls. It seems it would work, save for it not providing the requisite 2amps of minimum load.

Do you think this t-stat will work with this heater, given the minimum load requirement? If not, can anyone recommend a good programmable t-stat for this kind of heater?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-14, 05:09 PM
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
Why not install a 24 volt relay to be controlled by the Stat and switch the fans through it,you may need to install a new transformer or if there is one on the unit for the gas valve you may be able to use it.

Old 03-06-14, 11:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
I have this Lux thermostat and it works really good. I use it on job sites to preheat the area with a kerosene salamander.

PSP300 - Lux PSP300 - 5/2 Programmable Outlet Thermostat (Heating & Cooling)

Lux also offers a no-frills model.... WIN 100

Supplied instruction manual.........
PSP300-Install-Instructions.pdf