Are Lux Thermostat's Good?

Old 02-28-14, 03:14 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are Lux Thermostat's Good?

I don't like my Honeywell Thermostat. It's an WiFi one. It doesn't let the temperature to at least drop a little bit before it turns on. Yes, it's nice that you can control the thermostat from your phone and all, but it keeps cycling. And, I don't know if Honeywell will ever make a software update and make it an option to either have a cycling or swing option. My furnace is over sized for my condo, so I believe it is causing it to cycle so many times. If I put it on a low temperature it won't cycle that often. But, if I put it on a high temp, because the weather gets cold, then it will cycle more than the option I set it to. Such as 1 cycle. So I need a good, accurate and swing option thermostat. I was looking at the Lux products.They have the swing option.

Old 02-28-14, 06:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I have seen good consumer reviews on them in the past.

I had new one on my house when I bought it and threw it in the trash and installed a Honeywell. I wouldn't recommend one to friends or family.

Old 02-28-14, 06:41 PM
B
Houston 204, I love the Honeywell. It has great options. I just love the option where if I were to get up in the middle of the night and it's cold or too hot and I can just grab my phone and turn the heat up or down without getting out of my bed. However, I need a thermostat that if I put it on 73 in the house, then I would want it to turn on like at 71 or the least 70.5. But, this Honeywell will turn on while the indoor temp is still 73. I even have it on 1 cycle. I don't know why Honeywell doesn't give the consumers the option to have either or. Like through the options, they can have the choice to choose if they want a cycle rate to keep the temp exactly at 73 or have the option of the swing.

I don't know maybe in the future Honeywell will make an software update and send it to their units so that we can download them via wifi. What brand would be a good thermostat with the swing option? A good accurate reading one.

Old 02-28-14, 07:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I never use my phone to change the temperature. I use my PC, laptop or netbook sometimes. I like the reliable operation that I get from Honeywell.

If you are unhappy with Honeywell I'm sure that you will find something that gives you the adjustable swing that you require.
If you decide to get a Lux or Ritetemp stat I'm sure that you will get a least a few years of dependable operation from it. I hope that you get much more.

I doubt that you will find many professionals in this field that would recommend Lux. Professional quality names would include Honeywell, White Rodgers, Robertshaw, Ecobee...

Last edited by Houston204; 02-28-14 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-28-14, 07:39 PM
B
Thanks Houston204 for your recommendations. I really appreciate the time you're taking to address all my concerns. The Ritetemp seems like a Filtrette one. It displays temperature like 73.5. I don't like that .5 ...I replaced my old 3M Filtrette. It has that type of temp. display. The Lux displays them as whole numbers. I like that. So maybe I will go with a Lux. I will inquire more about the Honeywell and see if they will ever send a update or somethinbg so that we can have the option of the swing.

Old 02-28-14, 07:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't feel the need for a larger differential. If I set the heat for 72 degrees, that's what I want the room to be. If I wanted 70 degrees I would have set it to 70.

I do see that this is an important feature to some posters in this site. There is always other brands. I for one hope that Honeywell keeps the tight control on setpoint that it currently uses.

Old 02-28-14, 09:14 PM
B
Do they all have the same accuracy reading?

Old 02-28-14, 09:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have had a Chronotherm 2, a Chronotherm 4, a VisionPro TH8321, and a Prestige IAQ and I have been satisfied with each in their day.

Old 02-28-14, 09:53 PM
B
Houston204, I was talking about all the digital thermostat's in general. Including the Lux. Do they have the same accuracy in reading temps?

Old 02-28-14, 10:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think reading a temperature and dependably controlling the temperature are different things. I wouldn't count on anything less than a 5000 series Honeywell to control the temperature. Whatever you choose, remember that you often get what you pay for, so avoiding bargain buys might be advisable.

It sounds like you have your mind set on a Lux stat. I hope that you enjoy your selection for many years.

Old 03-01-14, 03:44 PM
B
Thanks a lot Houston204 for all your help and taking the time to address all my concerns. I really appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: