Need help changing Thermostat to programable thermostat

Old 03-04-14, 09:37 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help changing Thermostat to programable thermostat

I purchased a Hunter 44680 thermostat several months qgo and decided to install it today. The old one has about 6 terminals and I have 4 wires. The wires are connected to the terminals as they are labeled. However, the new thermostat has about 12 terminals. As an example it has a y1 and y2. and a couple of others designated with a 1 and 2. The wires coming from the wall are red, green, white and yellow.
There are terminals for the red, green, white and a y1 and y2 for the yello.
I am figuring that the yellow will go to the y1 terminal, but what is the y2 used for.

The thermostat is not as easily programmed as the ad copy states and I had to reinstall the old one to get the furnace to come on. My question is, is there someone out there who has first hand experience with this thermostat and its installation?
I am adding a footnote to this post because of an additional problem encountered. When I tried to connect the red wire to the Rh, I could not get the screw tight enough ot hold the wire. Try as hard as I could I could not get the screw to tighten leaving the wire loose. Any suggestions?
Since I needed two thermostats I had two on hand and I used the base off the second one finishe the installation however I have not gotten the furnace to run witht the new thermostat. So after all this I had to reinstall the old thermostat to keep the house warm..

Old 03-05-14, 01:32 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Some of the HVAC professionals here have stated the best thing to do with a Hunter thermostat is to set it under a tire of your car and then drive over it several times.

Seriously, the screw problem points out the fact that these are poor quality thermostats. There are far better units available. I personally like Robertshaw but Honeywell also makes fine equipment.

To answer your questions, the Y1 and Y2 connections are for a two-stage cooling system. You probably also have a W1 and W2 terminal and maybe even a W3 terminal and these are for multi-stage heating. A heat pump thermostat will have either an O or a B terminal and sometimes both as well. You only need to use the terminals pertinent to YOUR system. The standard is R (sometimes Rh or RH) is the power supply for the heating mode and it is often connected with a factory installed jumper to the RC (Rc) terminal which is the power to the cooling mode. W is the heat on terminal (may have numbers that denote multiple stages of heat) and Y is for the cooling mode. The G terminal is for both manual fan operation and for energizing the fan when in cooling mode. Many thermostats will have either programming, selector switches or push-on jumper clips to select between a fuel-fired system or an electric heat system. In the fuel-fired mode the furnace itself will control the fan operation and in the electric mode the fan will come on with the call for heat.

Old 03-05-14, 09:06 AM
C
Tution paid

Thanks Furd
Your explanation helps. I have purchased prog thermostats over the years and have found that as newer models came out they were a little easier to progam and were a little more intuitive. Not this beast. It is complicated and frustrating. So I guess I would agree with the critics of this device. Stay away from it.
I'm going to let the old one run the system until I garner enough information to make wiser choice and as I stated above your explanation helps. Thanks again.

Old 03-06-14, 06:44 AM
C
Final post

I have the thermostat working. I called the 800 number on the installation manual for some assistance. The gal told me that they could only help determine the correct wiring by following the codes. Big Deal. However, after confirming that I indeed had the wiring correct, but the furnace still would not work, she suggested that I select the "electric heat" option rather than the "Oil/gas" option. So, after a few hours of checking, double checking and pulling what little hair I have out, she suggests that I do something other than what is in the manual and presto it works.

My reaction is I don't know whether to be mad or happy since the "*&*&" thing is working. But, I will stick by my previous post and recommend that Hunter thermostats be left on the shelf and select a unit from a more caring company. One that knows it's information is wrong, but does not place it on the web site or in the manual.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: