Dual Stage and Dual Fuel with Honeywell Zoning clarification?

Old 03-07-14, 10:57 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dual Stage and Dual Fuel with Honeywell Zoning clarification?

Forum newbie, here.

I have a Trane XV95, XL20i Heat Pump and HZ432 zone controller. My installer set up my system with 2H/2C thermostats and jumpered W1/W2 at the stats and the furnace and did not connect Y2 at the stat. I want to upgrade to better thermostats to better control staging.

The TZ432 says it is 3H/2C, yet is has a setup for configuring a "Duel Fuel system with two-stage furnace and two-stage heat pump" I don't see anything jumpered in the config. So isn't this a 4H/2C config?

I am hoping to hook up ecobee thermostats (or such) to my system...but want to make sure I get the efficiency features they provide.

thanks for the guidance.

Old 03-07-14, 09:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
My installer set up my system with 2H/2C thermostats and jumpered W1/W2 at the stats and the furnace and did not connect Y2 at the stat.
Did you mean to post that he did not connect W2?

Old 03-09-14, 08:05 AM
F
Thanks that is the setup I was looking at. The way it is currently configured has the W1/W2 jumpered at the stats and furnace. Also, Y2 is not hooked up at the stats.

the HZ432 says it only supports 3H/2C. If so how does this config in the config you posted work, because I thought is describes a 4H/2C setup?

Does it mean it controls a 4H/2C system, but only with 3H/2C stats?

Old 03-09-14, 10:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The zone control will support thermostats with Y2 in your application.
I wonder if the installers were concerned about 2 stages of cooling running with only 1 zone damper open.

Does the Y2 LED light up with a large demand present at both zones at this time?

Is the BK terminal connected?

I think that I would still want Y2 connected.

Old 03-09-14, 03:11 PM
F
Thanks. I'll check. The HP sounds like it goes to a 2nd stage. Do you know if the HZ432 will control both stage of HP and Fossil when a thermostat calls for them specifically like a Nest or ecobee can do? I am not wanting HP and Fossil to operate at the same time.

Old 03-09-14, 03:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Dual Fuel Changeover: Allow panel to changeover from heat pump to fossil fuel based on outdoor temperature, or allow second stage call to changeover panel to fossil fuel for a minimum of one hour when outdoor temperature is above OT balance temperature
setting. Multistage changeover is only available on dual fuel applications configured for 2 heat pump stages.
That zone control will support your dual fuel system.

http://support-assets.nest.com/image...tion_Guide.pdf
I wouldn't recommend a Nest thermostat for a dual fuel system with a 2 stage heat pump and a 2 stage furnace.

The Ecobee would be a better choice of the 2 stats that you are looking at.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: