Nest with my GeneralAire 1042 Humidifier

Old 03-07-14, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nest with my GeneralAire 1042 Humidifier

Hi there currently my Nest thermostat is hooked up and my HVAC system and I have my humidifier running on a separate humidistat. I'd like to remove the humidistat and use the Nest to control the humidifier. Currently the humidistat uses the pressure switch to turn on and off the humidifier with the Heat fan. I'd like to know how I would change my wiring and what I would need to add and rewire to make this work. I'm assuming i don't need the pressure switch since the Nest can tell the humidifier to only run with the Heat. I have attached my wiring diagram of my HVAC system. Also any suggestions on how to integrate the HRV would be nice but not necessary. Thanks in advance.. Hope my diagram is right

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-14, 08:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
You would connect the Nest * terminal to humidifier Y.
Then take the pressure switch and existing humidistat out of the humidity control circuit.
You would then verify that the stat is configured to control a humidifier with the star terminal.

Old 03-08-14, 07:39 AM
Houston204 thanks for the reply. I've seen diagrams floating around the forum suggesting people to use the following https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGI.../N-0?Ntt=6AZU2 relay. I may have made a mistake in my drawing the humidifier connection is actually at a solenoid so i'm not sure if it is actually a (C) and (Y) terminal I just made that assumption.

Do I need the relay or can I just connect one of the solenoid terminals to the (*) on the Nest and remove the humidistat. Attached is an updated drawing of my current situation.

Attached Images  
Old 03-08-14, 08:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
http://www.generalfilters.com/cm/dpl...s_Manual_R.pdf

This manual does not state if the humidifier has a transformer in it.
If the humidifier has its own transformer you will need an isolation relay.

If the humidifier is getting 24 volt power from your furnace as you have drawn then you do not need a relay to isolate the different transformers.

You can rename your wires A and B or 1 and 2 or the left wire and the right wire

It is easy to prove if your humidifier has a transformer in it. Disconnect the control wires to it and touch the wire from the humidifier together. If the humidifier runs water it has a transformer in it.

I grew up working with Carrier and Aprilaire humidifiers that had a transformer in them. I installed 2 Honeywell humidifiers this week that did not have a transformer in them, that may have been a first.

Old 03-08-14, 05:52 PM
Ok so I'm not sure I understand your quick test. But I found the following diagram in the manuals, does this give more into on my setup? Looks like it says it is a 24V solenoid so I'm assuming by this there is no transformer. Also by looking at the thermostat I don't see a transformer anywhere. The last diagram is what I'll be doing tomorrow just need to get another wire between the thermostat and the humidifier.

Attached Images   
Old 03-08-14, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Both types of humidifiers that we are posting about have a solenoid that opens water flow to add humidity.

Your initial drawing has the humidifier getting 24 volts from your furnace.
If this is the case your final drawing is correct.

Old 03-08-14, 06:37 PM
Perfect thanks for your help...

Old 03-09-14, 12:23 PM
Success, so far, seems to be running when heat and fan comes on. Thanks again...

Old 03-09-14, 01:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you been able to view the humidity setpoint that you entered when initially configuring the stat or do you have to do this with the web based application?

Old 03-10-14, 09:27 AM
Setting the humidity on the nest isn't intuitive, you have to go to settings->equipment->humidifier->set humidity. Even then it's not a actualy percentage that I am setting but a series of water drops ranging from none to 4 drops. In the web application or mobile app it has 2 water drops as being the comfortable setting so I just left it there.

And to view the relative humidity on the stat, you have to dig into the technical info section, which sucks, wish they had it some where on teh main display. On the mobile app it's viewable in the menu header.

I used to have an Ecobee, which I removed and reversed all the wiring back to its original state so I could get the Nest hooked up properly.I was able to set the actual percentage of humidity I wanted, it also gave me system failure warnings which the nest does not and hope they add soon. It save me tons of money when I had a failure over the winter holidays this year when my furnace failed and i was out of town. Nest looks nice but some of these must have features may sway me back to the ecobee.

Old 03-10-14, 07:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I installed a Nest a while back and didn't see humidity set point after I had the system running.
I was able to set 35% as the lowest desired humidity when installing the stat.

The Nest is a good looking thermostat but the Ecobee is more capable.