thermostat install help

Old 03-27-14, 06:10 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thermostat install help

Hello!

I have a Rheem air handler inside (RBHK-25J00NHE), a Rheem heat pump outside (RPMC-060JAZ), and a RobertShaw 9500 thermostat.. (technically have 2 of each for my home).. I want to install Honeywell RTH6580WF thermostats.. I have a 7 wire stat line.. 4 of which are being used for the current thermostat.. one of which I believe is an unused C wire (brown).. Here is a link to my current equipments manuals: dropcanvas - instant drag and drop sharing - Stat help

Now some photos:

Current (old) thermostat:
Name:  ts3.jpg
Views: 7637
Size:  50.8 KB

Air handler circuit board wiring:
Name:  handler.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  37.7 KBName:  handler2.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  43.6 KB

Heat pump circuit board wiring:
Name:  hp1.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  33.3 KB

Regarding the heat pump wiring, the thermostat wire is wire nutted with thicker wire that mounts to the circuit board, but:
Blue thermostat wire goes to B
Red thermostat wire goes to R
Yellow thermostat wire goes to Y
Brown thermostat wire goes to C

From what I understand, my Brown tstat wire is my common and is currently unused at the thermostat... but it should be hot/ready..

I plan on putting Green to G, Yellow to Y, Red to RC, jumping W to Y and then I'm not 100% sure where to put Blue on the new thermostat.. and do I put all the connections to the heat pump area of the new thermostat? (not touching Conventional?)

Then for System setup what do I choose in the new thermostat.. skipping to 7:43 of the following video, what do I choose for my setup? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMpK1GcG9yw#t=463

Thanks so much!! Hope this is an easy one for all you DIY experts

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-14, 07:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Function 1 = 1 (heat pump without Aux heat)
Function 2 = 1 (O/B terminal is B)

Blue connects to the O/B terminal.
No jumper between Y and Aux. Setting function 1 addresses this.

Old 03-28-14, 01:54 AM
A
ok, you said no jumper between Y and Aux? whats Aux? dont see aux on the wiring diagram..

2nd question - so do I wire everything to heat pump side of the new thermostat alone? (one side conventional, one side heat pump)

Thanks

Old 03-28-14, 06:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No jumper is required between Y and anything.
You have a heat pump so refer to the heat pump terminal labels.

The Aux/E terminal label has been changed to A/E. The video shows it listed as Aux/E on page 18 of a manual. Your setup will not use this terminal.

Old 03-28-14, 03:11 PM
A
ugh... i found out after hooking up the new thermostats that the brown wire was only connected between the air handler and heat pump.. (leaving the brown wire to the tstat not connected).. so i joined the brown in the "common" loop and they powered up... tested heat on with thermostat 1, it worked.. heat came out... pushed the system off button on the thermostat to turn it off... the thermostat goes blank/powers off? (wth?) went to air handler/circuit breaker and smelt the electrical burning odor.. opened air handler and the smell was coming from the transformer... so i did something wrong... question is what... there is ONE difference on the blue wire between the heat pump/air handler/stat on one side of house vs the other.. on one side the blue wire is tapped into the air handler circuit board.. on the other.. the blue wire is just joined from heat pump to thermostat.. but no blue wire onto the 2nd air handler circuit board... dont know if this caused a problem in turning off the heat, which supposedly caused the transformer to blow...

ugh again.. called a local AC company to look into this.. i failed the diy

Old 03-29-14, 02:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Too bad. Replacing a transformer and correcting the Common wire issue isn't a big job.

Adding a 5 amp blade type fuse to each air handler would be a great idea.
2 fuses and 4 spade connectors would also be required.

Old 03-29-14, 01:36 PM
A
your right. i coulda handled the transformer swapout....

anyway, had the company come out.. ended up being an existing wiring issue that was beyond my control.. someone had the 208v on the transformer wired to something that should of been 240v.. so coming from not using a c wire on old thermostat to new one, drew me over the 208 and blew the transformer.. new transformer in (with a fuse), wired properly and running like a charm..

thanks for all your help Houston.. at least I did all my wiring correctly..