Am I headed in right direction with new themostat install?

Old 04-06-14, 12:51 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Am I headed in right direction with new themostat install?

Hello. I have a Trane XE1000 split unit electric heating/AC system in my house; evaporator in the attic and heat pump on concrete slab outside. I'm installing a Honeywell RTHL111B non-programmable thermostat.

The photo shows the new wall plate with labeled wires. I have to place a jumper wire between Y and W since my heat pump doesn't employ auxiliary/backup heat.

When I connect the jumper from Y to W, the jumper wire should be the same size as the W wire and not smaller correct? Can I use silver colored jumper wire (from old stat) to touch against W copper wire?

As you can see the RH(R) to RC jumper wire is already factory pre-set.

Also, this new thermostat makes no mention of a heat anticipator, so I assume this is non-adjustable in this model and I don't have to worry about it?

When the Y-W jumper arrangement is in, will it look like an 'h' ?

Thanks, Dave

Attached Images  

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 04-06-14 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-06-14, 06:05 AM
Received 91 Votes on 86 Posts
Look's good ,if you have any slack in the cable coming out of the wall just cut a short piece from one of the the unused ones for a jumper,2" should be fine or what ever works,as for the anticpator setting that is normally set on the non-programable Tstat's
Geo

Old 04-06-14, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,532 Votes on 1,415 Posts
A Y to W jumper connects the A/C and heat together which isn't correct.

Your yellow wire was W on the old thermostat ?
It almost looks like you're missing a wire.

Old 04-06-14, 12:17 PM
B
I posted a photo of the old White Rodgers thermostat below. The photo below shows that the W wire overlaps the Y wire and is partially under the screw. The Y wire on the old stat is attached to both the front of the subbase and the rear of the subbase where it appears to be attached to ground. There is no Y wire protruding from the wall cavity. I labeled the wires carefully. The only wires coming out of the wall cavity are shown in the first photo

Someone from a January topic thread said that I still need the Y-W jumper on the new stat. The new stat installation guide seems to agree. Does this make sense, or am I missing something? I will wait a couple days if needed before I test it. Fortunately, one can go without heat or AC this time of year in this part of Arizona. Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 04-06-14, 12:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
https://customer.honeywell.com/resou.../69-2582ES.pdf

4 : Place a jumper (piece of wire) between Y and W if you are using a heat pump without auxiliary/backup heat.
Honeywell requires the Y-W jumper when this stat is used with a single stage heat pump. It seems that heat pumps in Arizona and Florida often do not have heat strips for Aux heat.

Old 04-06-14, 12:29 PM
B
Hi Houston, I remember this is what you told me from the discussion in January. I waited all this time for more favorable weather to install.

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 04-06-14 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-06-14, 12:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I would have posted last night but Honeywell's website was down due to system maintenance and I couldn't verify my response.

Old 04-06-14, 01:07 PM
B
I know. I was on the Honeywell website yesterday too and was unable to open the installation manuals. The wall plate terminal is all wired up now if anyone wants me to post a photo.

Old 04-06-14, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
I was confused as the OP mentioned electric heat in his opening post.

Old 04-08-14, 09:57 PM
B
Yes, PJ Max. I have electric AC/heat. I'm not sure what you mean.

I tested the fan, A/C, and digital readout. It's working fine. Accurate too. As for the heat, I'll have to wait for a stretch of cooler weather to test.

Old 04-08-14, 10:38 PM
Group Moderator
You have a heatpump system. A heatpump supplies heating and cooling.
In my opinion electric AC/heat implies you have some type of electric reheat coils.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: