White Rogers UP300 Not Displaying a Battery Level Icon

Old 04-06-14, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
White Rogers UP300 Not Displaying a Battery Level Icon

Since the book says nothing about the battery level icon displaying or not I need to ask.

I have a heat pump and there is a Red "Common" wire terminated to the R.
Is it not displaying because I have a power source and the batteries are for power failure only in my case?

New T-Stat, New Batteries.

Thanks

Old 04-06-14, 02:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
How are the remaining terminals on the thermostat connected?
What brand outdoor unit do you have?

Old 04-06-14, 02:34 PM
Here is my old one. I matched up all but the white jumper and just followed the instructions for a 2-stage heat pump. The one going to the o/b is actually orange in color.

I have a new Goodman 13 seer and matching air handler.

The white wall is from the previous unit preventing noise on my rear deck further to the right. This unit is so quiet its not needed. This is just after the installation., Pine needles have been applied around. The white wall remains. Cannot even hear it when enjoying the deck.
The black pipe was just laying around. I should have pulled it out of the frame.

Old 04-06-14, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
Did you turn the furnace off when you changed the wiring ? If not you may have blown a 3A fuse on the control board inside the furnace.

In your case.... you can check for 24vac between the following two terminals.
R = RED = 24vac
C = Blue = common

Old 04-06-14, 05:19 PM
Thanks,

Yes, I pulled the disconnect before beginning. Although not an HVAC Tech, I am an industrial maintenance tech. I know you had to ask.

I have 28VAC measured with my Fluke 27 across the R & C.

The unit is functioning OK. Heating and cooling.
After plugging the face plate back in after checking the voltage my schedule settings were still there but the clock had to be reset.

Maybe a defective unit?

Old 04-07-14, 02:22 PM
Hi,

So..........I go to the White Rogers Site and hit Chat. There is a search while you wait. I hit Battery Icon.
It came up with: (Copied and Pasted From the Site).

Battery Symbol Updated
"Battery" on the display indicates it is running on batteries and the heat/cool system is no longer supplying power to the thermostat. The thermostat will maintain it's program but the heat or cool will not operate until power is restored. You may want to check the fuses or breakers, the on/off switch on the furnace and the door to the blower compartment. If the blower compartment door is loose there may be a switch inside the door that disconnects power to your system. Also consult the furnace manufacturer to see if they have any other ideas on what could drop out the system power. Date Updated: 03/26/2014

So I go and pull the disconnect and sure enough the battery symbol appears. OK. This updated 3/26/14.

In the mean time I had placed a call to Tech support and left a call back number.

The tech kept putting me on hold to look for answers. He then had me reset the unit. No battery icon while she is powered.

He says to return the defective unit to the place of purchase. He did not instill in me any kind of confidence he knew what he was talking about.

I'm going to go with the Battery Symbol only displays when the T-Stat looses power and reverts to the Batteries.

Thanks

Old 04-07-14, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
It sounds like it's working correctly.
Unfortunately many of the "techs" you call are reading from a script and don't always know the answer.

Old 04-10-14, 05:39 AM
White Rgers (Emerson) Still Disagree - Its Not Over Yet

Well in between all this I had an email into WR explaining in detail, even mentioning it shows only when the disconnect is pulled.

They insisted it should display the battery icon always and I should return the unit to the point of sale.

So I asked about the data I copy and pasted from their site. It says "Battery" on the display indicates it is running on batteries.

I clarify - "Does this mean it will display a text symbol "Battery" along with the battery power level status icon?

Heh! LOL, this poor guy was having some real fun trying to find that in his flow chart.

He's just trying to make a living I guess. Not his fault WR cannot put experienced or knowledgeable help at the phones.

Semi Retired I have lots of time for this eh?

So I put all this information to the point if sale and without hesitation they have a new one in shipment instructing me to discard the one I have as I see fit.

I'm game. I'll post my results and eat any crow I have coming to me if need be.

I am a retired industrial maintenance tech/trouble shooter. I cared and maintained and was responsible for several pieces of multimillion dollar equipment. We did not settle for, or make decisions based on vague explanations.

Its in my Blood.

Old 04-10-14, 11:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I have seen White Rodgers digital thermostats only display the battery when power is lost. This does not explain why you are losing the programmed time.

Old 04-10-14, 11:54 AM
I see, Thanks,

I tested the voltage like you suggested on the current one thanks.

We will see what the 2nd unit does. Your words are appreciated.

I have read some reviews on Amazon how they love the unit and then comment on how it will lose time but not programming after a power company outage or changing batteries.

As for me, I don't know whats normal on this unit in that aspect, but if the 2nd one is the same or better I'll keep it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: