Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

‘Smart’ Thermostat Options: Condo – 4 In Wall Electric AC/Heat Units

Old 04-30-14, 02:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello. I recently move to a new 2bed/2bath condo (1275sqft) it has 4 In wall electric AC/Heat Units each with their own ‘dumb’ thermostats (GE Deluxe 6100 series View models from GE's PTAC Air Conditioners | GE Zoneline).
I am coming from 1bed/1bath condo (825sqft) with Central Air and a NEST thermostat (Love UI and Ease of use, although there was shortfall with set-up of variance +/- set temp).
I am left wanting more out of my new Condo AC/Heat Control.
I am primarily looking to add the following functionality:
- Combine the control of the 4 separate AC/Heat Units via one central thermostat or via an app.
- Remote On/Off control of each of the 4 units independently/all/etc. from iPhone (App preferable to web. I could also ‘link’ two units as one as they both service living room).
- Nice to have - 7 day scheduling (easier programming of schedule & changes)
- Tracking Usage Day/Day, Month/Month, Year/Year, etc. With 4 Separate Units I think I have the potential to save some electric costs from my previous condos central air as I do not use all 4 rooms continuously and could essentially run 2 when home in living room and 1 in bedroom at night (2nd bed is spare/office so would be only used occasionally) BUT I only see this potential saving if I have better control of running them

Right now I am not sure I see the NEST Thermostats as an option ($200 each x 4. Plus NESTs temp control is just okay and with wall units I think will have more hot/cold spots).

Is there a thermostat out there (Honeywell?) that can act as a central ‘HUB’ and I could wirelessly (or wired if I had to) add control modules to the Wall AC/Heat units and also add Temp Sensors to Individual rooms to signal them on and off? Figure it might be possible since many of the Honeywell Stats can do 3-4 Heat Pumps and AC. Or could I use something sort of home automation compatible thermostat and control all 4 easily though that. Just not sure what options I have here. Don’t want to spend $1,000 to accomplish this like I would with the NEST thermostats.

My current thermostats hooked to wall units have Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, White and Black wire going to it. looks like the board it hooks to on wall ac/heat unit has some more opening as well (didnt want to pull it out at this point). I am fairly good mechanically/electronics... not great with programing

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-30-14, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,523 Votes on 1,406 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I don't know of a residential system that will do what you want. The forum pro, Houston, will stop by.... he would know if there was a system that would work for you.

Are those self contained units heatpumps too or just A/C with electric heating coils ?

You should check the thermostat and see if all six wires are connected. Actually, if you get to that point you could tell us what terminal each wire is connected to.

Old 05-02-14, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Honeywell can give the option to add wireless sensors and a wireless remote control and view system usage (Though not a years worth) but this will not be cheaper than a thermostat without these features.

I doubt that you will find a $400 option for your heat pump requirements.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: