Wiring Help Honeywell RTH8500D to Goodman ARPT HP Air Handler

Old 05-08-14, 10:06 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Help Honeywell RTH8500D to Goodman ARPT HP Air Handler

I recently had a complete new system installed. Goodman ARPT30B14 with 15KW Aux Grids and Outside unit SSZ14 2.5 Ton. The Unit is being controlled by a Honeywell RTH8500.
I don't think the installer has hooked up wiring & programmed the T-Stat correctly.
I say this because my Electric bill for the winter was the most expensive I have ever had! My old unit worked but was 20 years old and starting to fail, but never cost this much to operate!

My question is should this T-Stat be programmed for 2 stage heat, and how should wires be connected?
They're currently connect as follows @ Stat, and the Stat is set 0170-7 program mode. It can be set to 2 stage heat 0170-9

R = Red
RC = Jumped R
O/B = Orange
Y = Yellow
G = Green
C = Blue (common)
Aux/W2 = White
E = No Wire (there is 2 more wires)
L = No Wire

@ Air Handler 5 wires page 16 of Goodman Air Handler install Guide 03/2013
R to Red
G to Green
W to White
B to Blue
BR not Connected( Should it be connected to E?)

@ Condensing Unit
C to Blue
W2 to White
O to Orange
Y to Yellow
R to Red

Anybody got any info? Installer has not returned my call, I think he's out of business!

Old 05-08-14, 04:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
His wiring and configuration looks correct except E. I would place a jumper wire between Aux and E at the stat.

You cannot use setback temperatures in the heat mode since this will increase your electric bill. You can change function 160 to 0 if you want to turn off programmable operation for both heating and cooling but I would just program the heat setpoints the same for each period and use setback settings in the cooling mode.

Old 05-08-14, 05:17 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok I agree on the heat set point, but per these links. On page 16 E should be connected to the brown wire @ Air Handler for 2 stage, or Jumped together for single stage? Am I looking @ this wrong?

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related...s%203.2013.pdf

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related/diagrams_16.pdf

Old 05-08-14, 05:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
My winters run in the 50's most of the time and I would use 2 stage. I imagine that your winters run much colder.

Stage it if you prefer efficiency over comfort.
Your emergency heat will be only 5 kw. You may need some extra blankets

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: