Help installing new thermostat!!!

Old 05-17-14, 06:26 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help installing new thermostat!!!

Hi y'all I'm new to this forum and had a question about a new thermostat I'm trying to install..my question is that on my old thermostat I have 3 wires hooked up to the RH-W-A terminals(first pic) and now on the new thermostat there is no A terminal and I have no idea what to do!! Please help the only thing I thought was that the A terminal stood for auxiliary is that right?? Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks Sal

Attached Images   
Old 05-17-14, 06:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,512 Votes on 1,398 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

On a heat pump system it could be aux. but you don't have enough wires for a heat pump.
It might be best to go to furnace and see what terminal that wire is connected to.
Normally Green is the G terminal for fan.

Old 05-18-14, 06:33 AM
S
Ok thanks I'm gunna check it out now..if the wires are connected wrong what are the 3 wires supposed to be connected to?? This is a old house so god knows how this place was wired and if it was even done correctly...it's a heat only system and we just switched over from oil to gas so that's what got me looking into this

Old 05-18-14, 06:52 AM
S
Also there is no fan once the gas furnace gets to temperature the fan kicks on by itself..and what is actually happening is the damper opens and closes perfectly when hooked up the old way...once I changed the thermostat and had no A terminal it would call for heat open up send heat but when it went to shut down it would go to close but keep going from open to close open to close and never stop...so the wires on my thermostat all they do is send signals to the damper motor to open and close..but without the A terminal it doesn't close right...when wired the old way it opens and closes perfectly once I change the thermostat out it'll open the damper fine call for heat and once the thermostat is satisfied and goes to close the damper it just keeps going around open close open close and never stops..I tried wiring it on every terminal of the new one and nothing...if you need any more info on my system feel free to ask I am at a lost here...

Old 05-18-14, 08:23 AM
S
Is this a lennox furnace? What is the model #?

Old 05-18-14, 10:52 AM
S
It's an American standard silver series model#AUD1D120A9601AB

Old 05-18-14, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
So apparently you have a motorized vent left over from the oil burner. Look for the green thermostat wire and see what it connects to. You would only need two wires to activate the vent and initiate heat.

Old 05-18-14, 04:58 PM
S
Ok so all indeed is a wire to open the vent and to close the vent right? Which terminals would they go to on the thermostat?

Old 05-18-14, 06:44 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
It appears that what you currently have is a hay-wired system. Since the damper is not only an energy saving device but also a safety device I would strongly recommend wiring it correctly.

Old 05-19-14, 01:04 PM
S
Ok so how would I go about wiring it correctly which wires go to what?? Everyone's giving me great info and I appreciate it but no ones giving solutions and that's what I really need... Thanks again everyone appreciate you guys taking the time

Old 05-19-14, 02:43 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I would have to see a wiring diagram of your specific installation and of the auxiliary damper to make any specific recommendations, without those I would be doing nothing but shooting into a crowded room with no lights and I WON'T do that.

I will state that this is as much a safety issue as it is an energy saving issue but I already stated that in the previous response. I will also state that for someone well-versed in electrical systems it shouldn't be all that hard to figure out. Since I have no way of ascertaining your skill-set my ethics prevent me from giving any kind of detailed response.

If you are not capable of figuring out the proper configuration then I suggest that you hire someone that can. I know this is a DIY forum but a person needs to understand their limitations and work accordingly. Sometimes the two most important tools you have are your checkbook and a pen.

Old 05-19-14, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
I asked previously about where the green wire connected at your boiler. That shouldn't be too hard to find.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: