Do I have the proper wiring for WIFI?

Old 05-25-14, 09:44 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I have the proper wiring for WIFI?

I have been wanting a WIFI thermostat for 2 years now, and this summer I'm doing it!! (As long as it's possible with my wiring)

I would be so appreciative if someone could look at the picture and tell me if my wiring is what's required for a WIFI unit, possibly a Honeywell unit. My home was built in 1988, and I have a heat pump/AC unit that is electric only. What you see in the picture is 5 wires (not sure if there is a "c" among those). There is a jumper in there, I noticed. I simply pulled off my simple non-programmable thermostat to get this picture.

Any advice as to whether all the required wires are there and how to proceed is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks guys.

Attached Images  
Old 05-25-14, 10:00 PM
T
Not sure why that picture is rotated incorrectly, here is the proper orientation:

Attached Images  
Old 05-26-14, 12:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Technically, you need a C connection for a WiFi stat. If you don't or can't run another wire you can convert the green wire to a Common. With this conversion you lose the ability of turning just the FAN ON at the thermostat.

You would move the Green wire to C at the air handler. Now the green is C.
Then add a short jumper between Y and G at the air handler.

Be sure to turn power off before making any wiring changes.

Old 05-26-14, 09:24 AM
T
Thank you!! Your explanation was perfectly clear!!!

Old 05-26-14, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Some older air handlers require the G wire for emergency heat to operate with the fan.

If you post the air handler make and complete model number we may be able to look this up. (York, Rheem and American Standard manuals can be hard to find)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: