Problem With Wiring New Thermostat

Old 06-27-14, 06:19 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem With Wiring New Thermostat

The system is an electric heat pump. I appologize ahead of time as I am not very familar with these. It has the unit outside and everything else in the basement.

The problem is my current old Honeywell thermostat has an W1 and W2 wire. The instructions for my relatively new Honeywell RTH6350 (heat pump compatable) says to contact a qualified contractor for help if you have a W1 and W2 wire.

Here are the instructions for wiring the new one.

color - Old - New

green - G --> G
blue - C --> Do not connect
red - R --> R It says to leave the metal jumper between R and Rc
black - E --> Aux/E
yellow - W1 --> Aux/E
white - W2 --> Aux/E
orange - O --> O/B
brown - not used on current tstat

As you can see, the E, W1 and W2 all state to go to the Aux/E. The E and one of the W's are ok to wire to the Aux/E but apparently not both the W1 and W2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by alan51; 06-27-14 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 06:25 PM
S
Ok so are you worried about hooking all up to one and buring something up ... I think worst that could happen is pop your fuse on the unit

Old 06-27-14, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,530 Votes on 1,413 Posts
green - G --> G
blue - C --> Do not connect
red - R --> R It says to leave the metal jumper between R and Rc
black - E --> Aux/E > don't connect - tape off
yellow - W1 --> Aux/E > Y
white - W2 --> Aux/E
orange - O --> O/B
brown - not used on current tstat

Was brown connected on old t'stat ?

Turn the unit off before wiring.
Houston, the forum pro, will stop by and fine tune your thermostat settings as you need to set the thermostat for heat pump operation.

Last edited by PJmax; 06-27-14 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-27-14, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I recommend setting Function 1 to 5
2 = 0
3 = 1 (if it appears)
5 = 3 (if it appears)
6 = 5 (or 9 if you value efficiency over comfort)
8 = 3 (or 5 if you value efficiency over comfort)
12 = 1 if you want autochangeover capability
13 = 1
14 = 0

Old 06-27-14, 09:08 PM
A
PJ the brown is not being used.

Thank you everyone for such a quick response. I really appreciate it. I hope you all have a great weekend.

Old 06-27-14, 09:26 PM
A
Houston, with this being an all electric system, I am curious why function 5 and 6 are set to gas settings. Is this a trick of the trade that allows a heat pump system to perform better in some way.

Thanks

Old 06-28-14, 08:14 AM
A
PJ I am curious to learn more about what the wires tell you about my system. For example, what are the W1 and W2 wires doing and why was that an issue in the instructions? What functions do the different wires perform and what does it say, if anything, about my system possibly having aux heating or multiple stages of heating or cooling?

Old 06-28-14, 08:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Setting the heat strips to lower cycles per hour will increase comfort in the home.

I have had to return to a home to change this function from 9 to 3 because the home owner was cold and the heat strips quickly cycled back off when given a demand.

Old 06-28-14, 10:00 AM
A
Thanks Houston, that is very helpful.

Old 06-28-14, 02:10 PM
A
HELP - The thermostat appears to be working fine but the AC and heat won't turn on. The wiring and the functions are all set as stated here. Everything has been triple checked. I checked the continuity of the fuses on the unit in the basement and they were fine. Not sure if that is a valid check. Is there something I need to reset on the unit outside. There is a power box but I don't see a breaker. It says it doesn't use fuses.

Old 06-28-14, 02:25 PM
Group Moderator
Do you have a voltmeter ?
Check between the R terminal and the blue wire that should have been taped off.
If you don't have 24vac... check for a fuse on the control board where the wiring connects on the inside unit.

Old 06-28-14, 03:02 PM
A
No, I am afraid that I don't have a voltmeter. It looks like I might need to go get one. I just checked with a neighbor and he no longer has one. I mentioned I did a continuity test on the 2 fuses in the box on the inside unit. Is that what you are refering to?

Old 06-28-14, 07:09 PM
A
I seem to have another problem. I installed the old thermostat to try to get the AC working and the display is blank. It's getting a bit warm in here. I have checked the wires and they are exactly how they were originally. I shut off the power and then replaced the two fuses in the main system in the basement. Still not working. I don't know if the heat pump is working or not after turning on the power. Changing a thermostat should not be this much fun

Old 06-28-14, 07:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Post the model number of the indoor unit so that we can help you find the low voltage fuse in it.

Replace it if you see it while looking at the control board.

Old 06-28-14, 08:35 PM
A
Thanks for the info. I pulled the panel off the indoor unit and uncovered the wiring. The fuse is a flat 5 amp amber colored fuse with spade connectors. And it's blown. Does that sound like the right one. I don't have one so I will have to wait until tomorrow. Do you know if home depot or Lowes sell these? It's going to be a really warm night. It probably doesn't matter now, but the unit is a Trane TWG025A140B1.

Also, should I have the outside unit powered off when I change that fuse? If not, should I power it up as the instructions on the side of the inside unit say to make sure the outside unit is on for at least 24hours before starting up the inside unit. Is that the correct process?

Assuming this fixes the problem for use with the old thermostat, is there a chance that the
wiring conversion for the new thermostat may have caused the short?

And thanks for all your help

Last edited by alan51; 06-28-14 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-28-14, 10:39 PM
Group Moderator
More than likely you allowed the blue Common wire at the thermostat to touch one of the other wires.

That is an ATC-5 fuse. Avaiable at any car parts store or even the Shack. Most larger hardware stores will also carry them. I doubt you'll find them at the big box stores.

Old 06-29-14, 06:37 AM
A
PJ thanks. I am running out the door right now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: