Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Trane XR17 Heat Pump + TAM7 Air Handler + TCONT803 Tstat Wirings and Setups

Old 07-15-14, 02:02 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I recently had a new Trane XR17 (4TWR7036B1000A), a Trane Hyperion Variable Speed Air Handler (TAM7A0C42H31SC), with 8 KW Electric Heat Strip (BAYEVAC08LG1AA),

and a Trane TCONT803AS32DA Thermostat installed in my house in Southwest Florida. I am trying to confirm the wiring and thermostat settings to ensure that it is running as designed

and specified.

Currently wired as shown below:

Tsat ---------------- Air Handler ------- Heat Pump
======================================
White (W1) ------- White (W1) ------- Black (X2)
n/c ------------------- BK ----------------- n/c
Green (G) ---------- Green (G) --------- n/c
Brown (Y2) ------- Brown (Y2) ------- Yellow/Red (Y2)
Yellow (Y) -------- Yellow (Y1) ------ n/c
Orange (O) -------- Orange (O) ------- Orange (O)
Red (R) ------------- Red (R) ----------- Red (R)
Blue (B) ------------- Blue (B) ---------- Blue (B)
n/c ------------------- Yellow (Yo) ----- Yellow (Y)

RC jumper to R on thermostat (factory)

Question 1:
Is the Trane XR17 a 2-stage condenser heat pump with (1) two-step scroll compressor?

Question 2:
Based on the Tcont803 installers manual (see link below) the unit should be wired according to Fig. 11. Typical hookup of multistage two-step scroll heat pump with auxillary/backup heat

(3H/2C heat pump). Am I correct in this assumption?

Tcont803 manual:
http://www.butcherdistributors.com/I...isntallers.pdf

Question 3:
I read the TAM7 manual from page 30 (Two Stage HP) to page 35, my understanding that the following shoud be configured/addressed:

TAM7 manual:
http://www.munchsupply.com/UserFiles...%20INSTALL.pdf

1) W1, W2, and W3 should be jumpered to each other at air handler.
2) R and O should be jumpered to each other at air handler.
3) On page 35, indoor blower option, the manual mentioned cutting BK jumper when adding a "field supplied humidistat". Do I need to concern and/or activate this option?
4) Dip Switch S1 settings:

S1-1......On
S1-2......Off
S1-3......Off
S1-4......On
S1-5......Off

5) Dip Switch S2 settings:

S2-1......On
S2-2......On
S2-3......On
S2-4......On
S2-5......On

6) Tcont803 Thermostat Setup:

0170.......... 12
0180.......... 1
0200.......... 0
0220.......... 3
0230.......... 3
0250.......... 9
0260.......... 9
0270.......... 9
0280.......... 1
0300.......... 1
0310.......... 3
0380.......... 1

7) 8 KW Electric Heat Strip (BAYEVAC08LG1AA) Setup:

Should the jumper on the Control Board be set for 8KW? It is currently left at PARK posistion.

8) A RectorSeal Safe-T-Switch Model SS2 was installed to the red circuit of the air handler. Is it better to installed in the yellow circuit so that the fan continues to run and "inhibits mold during long absensces" as given as an option in the float switch installation manual?

The AC Technician who did the installation for me is a friend of my wife's family and when he left I noticed that the system did not run efficiently so I re-inspect every setings, read the manuals and found the above settings he forgot to set. Therefore, I came here asking for your expert opinion hoping you can help me properly set up the system. I was not home when he did the installation so he will come back and recheck every wire settings and reprogram everything correctly with me. I hope to have the answers from the experts in this forum before I work with my AC Tech.

Thanks in advance.

Q

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-14, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Question 1:
Is the Trane XR17 a 2-stage condenser heat pump with (1) two-step scroll compressor?
Yes

Question 2:
Based on the Tcont803 installers manual (see link below) the unit should be wired according to Fig. 11. Typical hookup of multistage two-step scroll heat pump with auxillary/backup heat
It is correctly wired at this time. The outdoor unit diagram is the correct diagram to use.
Your TAM7 manual also has this diagram. The stat manual diagram does not show your application.

Question 3:
I read the TAM7 manual from page 30 (Two Stage HP) to page 35, my understanding that the following shoud be configured/addressed:

Those dip switch settings look good. 390 cfm is a bit much but if the system is charged with this airflow I would not change it to 350 at this time.

I see nothing to indicate that a BK to R jumper should be made in the air handler or heat pump manual. Disregard the stat diagram.

I see nothing wrong with jumping the W terminals.

Don't cut any BK jumper with that stat. It can overcool to dehumidify but it is not a humidistat.

Your thermostat configurations look good except 270.
I'd change that to 3. If your heat pump ever fails and you need emergency heat 9 cycles per hour will be really short cycles that will not warm your body.

7) 8 KW Electric Heat Strip (BAYEVAC08LG1AA) Setup:

Should the jumper on the Control Board be set for 8KW? It is currently left at PARK position.
This makes sense but I see no reference to this jumper in the manual.

8) A RectorSeal Safe-T-Switch Model SS2 was installed to the red circuit of the air handler. Is it better to installed in the yellow circuit so that the fan continues to run and "inhibits mold during long absensces" as given as an option in the float switch installation manual?
It doesn't matter where that float switch is connected because it will not work.
Every time that I go to a house that has that type of 90 degree float switch installed on the secondary outlet with water flowing through the ceiling I remove that switch and throw it in the trash.

A float switch can be installed in the primary pan, the secondary pan or both but not on the secondary port of the primary pan. It will not reliably open any circuit installed on the secondary port.

Old 07-15-14, 08:27 PM
B
Thank you for your prompt response, Houston204. I meant to refer Figure 11. on page 5 of the tcont803 manual here:

Fig. 11. Typical hookup of multistage two-step scroll heat pump with auxiliary/backup heat (3H/2C heat pump)

http://www.butcherdistributors.com/I...isntallers.pdf

In it, there is a jumper set between R and O at the air handler. Should I do that?

In reference to my question about the 8 KW Electric Heat Strip (BAYEVAC08LG1AA) setup, should the jumper be set for 8KW? It is currently set at PARK position. Sorry to forget the link to the manual previously, but here it is on page 13

8 KW Electric Heat Strip (BAYEVAC08LG1AA) manual:
http://www.traneraleigh.com/secure/d...eater%20IG.pdf

Thanks,
Q

Old 07-15-14, 08:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
In it, there is a jumper set between R and O at the air handler. Should I do that?
The thermostat manual does not apply to your application. Notice that the air handler does not have 3 Y's. Disregard the thermostat wiring diagram.
http://www.trane.com/content/dam/Tra...=auto,-193,682

In reference to my question about the 8 KW Electric Heat Strip (BAYEVAC08LG1AA) setup, should the jumper be set for 8KW? It is currently set at PARK position. Sorry to forget the link to the manual previously, but here it is on page 13

From your link...
Control Board Jumper Settings
When the heater comes from the factory, the jumper will be
in the PARK position. The board is already configured for the
heater size that is required, so no adjustments are necessary.
NOTE: If the jumper is moved to another kW rating and
power is applied, the factory programming on the PARK
position is lost. The jumper must then be applied to the
appropriate rating per the heater model number.
I have no way of knowing if he ordered it with the 8 KW strips programmed or not so I would move it to match your heat strip size.

Old 07-17-14, 02:04 PM
B
Thanks, Houston204. Btw, the 8 KW heat strip was ordered separately, so I guess it needs to be jumpered at 8 KW on the control panel.

The AC Technician will come out on Saturday and go through everything with me again. I'm glad to have armed myself with your professional opinion and answers before then. Will report back how it turns out.

Q